SSH Tunneling

Hi all

question -

there are 2 servers A + B. server A is connected to the internet and running a squid proxy server - server B is behind a firewall. I can ssh from A to B but not from B to A. I need internet access on B to update some files. I thought I could use some sort of ssh tunnel to achieve this.

I was thought a remote port forward from A to B. I configured this ( from server A do 'ssh -R 1234:squidproxy_ipaddress:3128 user@server_B) and got a http 403 error when doing the update on B and pointing at localport 1234 which , i thought, indicated a permissions issue on the squid proxy no problem to sort out - except i dont have permissions to do it :slight_smile: - the sysadmin can sort it out though

however

The sysadmin says it wont work I should be doing a local port forward on A - i configured this (ssh -L:localhost:3128 user@serverB) and got a 'connection refused error' when doing the update from server B

its not resolved yet as sysadmins unavailable but out of curiosity who is right here - these tunnels can get a bit confusing! - thoughts appreciated as always

after a little thought just changed my line to

ssh -R 1234:localhost:3128 user@serverB (from server A) - the update is flying - guess thats 1 nil to me - i have the pleasure of telling the sysadmin to come!

many thanks