Sorting on length with identification of number of characters

Hello,
I am writing an open-source stemmer in Java for Indic languages which admit a large number of suffixes.
The Java stemmer requires that each suffix string be sorted as per its length and that all strings of the same length are arranged in a single group, sorted alphabetically. Moreover as a header I need to specify the numeric value of the string, say

etc.

Since the languages in question have over 300 and more suffixes, trying to sort on length and identifying the length of each string and counting it becomes a difficult issue.
An example will make this clear.
Input:

Expected output

Since handling such a large database is laborious, is it possible to write a script in AWK or PERL which would enable the above output.
Your help would go a long way in putting java-based stemmers in different languages in the open-source community.
Many thanks in advance for your kind help

Try:

gawk '{print length, $1}' infile | sort -n | gawk '$1!=p{print $1}{print $2; p=$1}'

You would need to use a version of awk that correctly counts multi-byte characters:

1 Like

Many thanks it worked. However since GAWK under windows does not allow pipes, I had to create 3 scripts
one for processing count, the other for sorting and the third for printing out the count.
Desperate situations call for desperate measures. Any way in which I can handle pipes under windows.

Hi.

I thought cmd and command in MS Windows could handle simple pipes, like dir | more . Even in the case that they do, you may not find sort, et al, to be available.

So ... see Cygwin for a very complete solution.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

1 Like