Sorting failing cause not known

Hi All,

Below is the message I am getting and the process is failing after the child process. The exit status is 11 and the job it is doing is sorting. Is it the status 11 is because of space unavailability. I am sure about the status 11.

Below is the success message I got last on week run

---------- Post updated at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:00 PM ----------

Below is the process when it is running. nname is the process doing the sort and I see it is running and also in defunct state. Not sure why

(cv>) r ps
sp 29779 26297  5 08:04 pts/11   00:06:02 /codesort/nname   --unixsort
sp 30210 29779  0 08:04 pts/11   00:00:00 [nname] <defunct>

Only the documentation for that product can tell you what status 11 means. What is it?

Below is the code that is getting the error message

if(success)
		{
			while((wpid = wait(&status))>0)
			{
				cout<<"Child process " <<wpid <<" exited with status " <<status <<endl <<endl;
				if(status !=0)
				{
					success = false;
				}
			}
		}

Yes, that is code to wait for a child and report status. Did you write the code?
If not how do you know what the exit code of 11 means? Software does not have a universal exit code databse or specification. sysexits notwithstanding (does not have an out of space error - on linux see /usr/include/sysexits.h ).

How much space is free in /tmp [and/or] $TMPDIR ? Sort packages often respond to environment variables- UNIX sort does - which is why I ask.

1 Like

All that code does is wait for the child process to return. The error is in the child process so the code doesn't help us.

1 Like