[Solved] Problem creating print queue HP-UX -to- HP4100N

Hi all, I am new to HP-UX, using SAM I cannot make a print queue on my test server. From my test & live server as the user required and as root I can ping my printer. I have tried to clone the test print queue using the exact same options use on my live system that prints just fine. Can anyone give me some pointers? TIA -KJ :confused:

PS if it matters I am using: HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64

What error messages do you see in the log files (/var/sam/log/samlog, /var/log/messages and / var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for HP-UX I think)?
If you are printing to the network printing using LPD then you should be able to connect to the printer using telnet to port 515, if this works from one server and not the other then perhaps one has a firewall on it blocking port 515.
A failed connection would show a message something like:

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused"

A successful connection will get a message like:
[

Connected to printeraddress
Escape character is '^]'.

As it says hit the <ctrl> and <]> keys together to exit from a successful telnet connection.

If you are using HP JetDirect to drive the printer, check that both servers have the package installed.

swlist | grep -i "jet"

We use "addqueue" not SAM to create print queues. The printers still become visible in SAM.
We have had an issue with HP4100 printers and the JetDirect "addqueue" command. The printer identity is not recognised.

If the 4100 printer is not listed in:

addqueue -l

force the printer in "addqueue" as a HP LaserJet 4050 (-i267).

1 Like

It has been forever since I checked back on this question.
It looks like no jet software is installed on my server.
swlist | grep -i "jet"
..and the command "addqueue -l" is not available. or should I say "addqueue". I will look into this command next.
-KJ

or do you have an /opt/hpnpl directory?

This is the software you need to install if missing:
HP JD Printer Installer for HP-UX 11.x- HP JetDirect Printer Installer for UNIX - HP Business Support Center

You can either use addqueue as suggested by methyl or configure through SAM (choosing network not remote...) port 9100 should also be open...

1 Like

Hey thanks for the help on this...
I was able to create a new queue with �addqueue� just fine.
By the way sorry for the long delay, I was put on another project for quite some time before I could get back to this.
So I made the queue and am seeing something I have never seen before in the results. I have PJL embedded printing commands coming out. I set up my queue with PCL only. Has anyone seen/heard of this and know where I might look to stop it?
Example:
?%-12345X@PJL USTATUS PAGE = OFF
@PJL USTATUS PAGE=ON
@PJL JOB NAME = "User: dXXXXXXX; Job: check-240" START = 1 @PJL SET COPIES = 1 @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL ?&s1C?&k2G?(s16.66H?&l8D?&a3L

{file/report body}

?E?E?%-12345X@PJL
@PJL RESET
@PJL EOJ NAME = "User: dXXXXXXX; Job: checks-240"
?%-12345X

I have looked at my source programming code in my ERP system and it does not have any JPL strings in it. I have tried using different reports and they also have the embeded JPL in my final reports. The original report is for my corperate "checks" and it cannot have these extra commands. TIA. -KJ :confused:

Needs a manual edit of the model file.

See
/etc/lp/interface/model.orig/<printername>

Change the line
BANNER="yes"
to
BANNER=""

It was already set to this, any other ideas? I am looking further at this file for more options. I was not aware of this file in HP. Thanks again. -KJ

---------- Post updated at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:14 AM ----------

This file has PJL all over it. I guess this is the right place. I am not sure what else I am safe to edit in this file, but am reading about it thanks once more. -KJ

I have found some new information out today. When I use a print queue made with "addqueue" I am still getting this PJL code embedded in my print jobs (even when I use option -L PCL), but when I used a new method to me this worked, can anyone help me with this? hpnpf and addqueue? What in addqueue could be doing this?

hpnpf(1) hpnpf(1)

NAME
hpnpf - network peripheral filter

man hpnpf | strings -4 man.hpnpf.txt
hpnpf -x {printer IP} man.hpnpf.txt

I never need anything like this in my old world with AIX.
oops did I just say a bad word? TIA. -KJ

I finally read every line of this* file "methyl" said to change containing BANNER...
/etc/lp/interface/model.orig/<printername>
Well maybe I should have read this further a long time ago. My particular file was over 5K lines. But it seems this file is where the wrapping of the PJL is added to the base report. I should have looked closer. Changing the banner did not help but the file itself was the problem.
Thanks for the file name.
My check print project is done. -KJ