[Solved] I am not able to hear any sound from CentOS 5.9

Hi,

1. I have installed Sound and media player for Centos 'Software Package Installer'.
  2. I plugged my headphone in system
  3. I am not able to hear sound .

Headphone is working on windows machine.

NOTE : Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01) installed in my centOS machine.

What's your computer?

Laptops especially often have problems with sound, particularly brand-new laptops which Linux maintainers haven't been told about. Manufacturers wall over problems with custom Windows drivers and don't tell anyone, Linux is forced to deal with it the hard way. There's usually a way, but someone needs to find it.

Search for topics related to linux and your particular model of computer, not just generic "sound doesn't work in centos" topics.

We have a bunch of Dell Optiplex 980's that are running RedHat 5.1. The sound was not working and I had to get it working. According to my notes what I did was:

Step 1 is to Upgrade the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) subsystem by installing the following packages:

rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps alsa-lib-1.0.24.1-35.el5.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps alsa-lib-1.0.24.1-35.el5.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps alsa-lib-devel-1.0.24.1-35.el5.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-24.el5.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps libasound2-1.0.24.1-35.el5.x86_64.rpm

Step 2 is to upgrade the kernel:

rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh kernel-devel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.x86_64.rpm

Step 3 is to reinstall the NVIDIA video driver which the new kernel just overlaid:

/bin/sh /tmp/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.19.run -a --ui=none -X -q -z

Run alsamixer and ensure that the volumes are up and unmuted. You can test the sound with: speaker-test -l10 -c6 -twav

This exact procedure probably won't help you. But it might give you an idea where to start.

Thanks to all for the reply . I am able to listen sound on my centOS machine :slight_smile:

Are you now? How did you fix it?

Initially I tried with Commands in Console but did not worked so I suppose to again work with GUI options and found GUI Interface as System-> Administration-> Sound card detection -> Reload Audio Driver and All other is set as default and reboot .
After that I have done following :

1. System->Preference-> Sound : Click to active system sounds .
  2. System->Preference-> VolumeControl : Change Device -> Then I selected HDA Intel(ALSA mixer)
    and I heard sound in CentOS :).

Thanks !

1 Like