[Solved] Disable mySQL autocommit

Hi.

Does anyone know how I can disable auto-commit in mySQL?

I've been Googling it for ages, and one suggestion that always comes up is adding this to /etc/my.cnf :

[mysqld]
init_connect='SET autocommit=0'

But that didn't work. I then read that this wouldn't work anyway for a priviliged user, so I created another user with very basic rights (select, insert, update, delete), and still it doesn't work.

So, thinking it might be because I was connecting from localhost, I installed a new VM and mySQL, and, after messing around for ages with iptables, managed to connect remotely to the mySQL server. But still it auto-commits.

I'm probably doing / missing something stupid, and it's driving me up the wall, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

[scott@localhost ~]$ mysql --version
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.77, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.1

[scott@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue May 31 13:22:04 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[scott@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release 
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)

Hi Scott,
which storage engine are you using (show create table <table_name>;)?
Bear in mind that MySQL 5.0.x default's storage engine is MyISAM and that storage engine doesn't support transactions (you cannot rollback a statement).

You should take a look at InnoDB if you need transactions (start transaction; do your work; commit or rollback).

InnoDB is the default storage engine in 5.5 (I'm not sure when exactly it became the default storage engine).

1 Like

Hey radoulov!

That was it! I changed the storage engine to InnoDB, and now it works as I'd expect.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Scott.

You're very welcome :slight_smile:

Cheers
Radoulov

Since I'm quite new to mySQL, and would never have guessed that, I'll throw in a couple of links I found, once you gave me an idea where to look.

Link 1 | Link 2

Yee-haa! Now I can run updates without a care in the World :smiley: