[Solved] Adding a "DUMB TERMINAL"

I have had a failure on an HP 715 workstation and luckily have plenty of spares to replace the failed one with. I know that on the server these files need to have the replacement machine configured:

bootptab, hosts, and clusterconf

I can ping the replacement workstation but the workstation does not get disk space allocated or get a login from the server with the "old" machine's personality which comes up in HP VUE with a user login as on the other workstations.

I have enough linux background to be able to navigate, edit and change file permissions but none from a server client perspective.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

So whats your server then? (OSversion, model etc...)
Are you on the server or the workstation?

---------- Post updated at 17:02 ---------- Previous update was at 17:01 ----------

Give us also the OS of the workstation...

What changes have you done?

All of the systems including the server are 715's and all of the workstations are diskless and have no O/S and rely on a boot rom to fetch IPL code. The server is running HPUX with HP VUE for a GUI which all of the terminals use to log in.

The server already has diskspace named and allocated for 10 workstations though I only had 6 but one failed.

But you mention nothing about the OS...
My first guess would be 9.05... or 9.07?
We still dont know what you changed...
The 10 workstations configured.. did they exist at a time, meaning you now have 6 working plus 4 for spares?

As you say the WS are diskless, so it wont be there you need to configure but on the server giving the correct MacAddress in the config files. then on the WS there might be some configuration to do in the bootprom but that is out of my memory (15 years ago...).
If you are really stuck I will try find my notes but that can also take some time...

Try to find a maximum of information on how you are configured (the clusterconf bit puzzles me...) and I will look for my notes meanwhile...

All the best

---------- Post updated at 16:52 ---------- Previous update was at 16:30 ----------

By the way, on the"server" did you try to execute sam->Add Cluster Clients yet?

The three files named above are actually all I needed, though at the "Boot Admin" prompt we had to configure the workstation to look at the MAC address of the server and it came right up.