Solaris10(x86) display goes blank

Hi all,
Installed Solaris10(1/13) on a normal Lenovo Thinkcenter desktop. The installation could proceed only in text mode (4).

Install is success, but not able to get the login window after the grub screen. The screen goes blank. (as was the case when selecting desktop mode during installation). I havent configured a network and hence unable to take remote session using ssh.

Any pointers on correcting this issue?

Read about changing the grub properties, bootenv.rc file but I havent got a clear idea on changing them.

(Used a Sun Microsystems display for install)

Thanks in advance.

I think we need more information and to ask some questions first.

1. Using this exact same hardware, if you throw on a different operating system (eg, Windows or Linux distro) does the GUI work?
  2. What settings are there in your BIOS that affect the graphics display?
  3. If you boot a Solaris x86 'live' DVD (there's certainly an excellent Solaris 11 (x86) version which will allow you to install from it afterwards) does the GUI work? It also allows you to select a VESA (generic) display driver.

Please post back your progress, or lack of.

Oh and what is the graphics adapter in the box? On board or add-on?

1 Like

It's also possible that your system is switching to console output. And easy way to check is to connect a terminal to the serial port (if it has one).

Thanks for the reply..,

Yes, the GUI is proper on installing windows 7

The graphics card is onboard Intel Q43/Q45 express

Will give it a try with latest Solaris 11 and update you.
Is there any way to get the command line atleast by any changes in bootenv?

---------- Post updated at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:24 AM ----------

Can we find this in any logs? Serial port is available but I currently do not have hardware cable to connect. Most importantly, how can I redirect it to VGA?
Thanks for your time.

Solaris 11 supports a more comprehensive list of graphics adapters than Solaris 10. So trying Solaris 11 'live' DVD may work.

Also, you could try constraining the console to text mode by modifying GRUB:

Modifying Boot Parameters on an x86 Based System - Booting and Shutting Down Oracle Solaris on x86 Platforms

Hi
Modified the grub to the following and tried boot.

Am I missing something?

additionally,
checked the syslog, it shows errors related to PCI device.

and what happened?

Searching Google there are reports of trouble with Intel graphics chipsets and Solaris 10.

Definitely suggest that you proceed with downloading Solaris 11 x86 'live' DVD and try that. There are a lot more graphics chipsets supported on Solaris 11 than prior versions.

Hi,
Just to update.
The display was proper while using Solaris11(live). Installed the OS and now testing the application.
Thanks for the suggestions.