Solaris Zones

Hi Every,

I would like to know some questions on Zones???

1.what are types of zones we can install in global zone???
2.Exact difference between sparce root and whole root???
3.can we change the ip address of a running zone???
4.how to find our in which zone we are running and how many zones are running
5.how to list the zones that already exist in a system??

Thanks in advance.

please read the zone documentation from sun. all questions are answered there. get the docs at:

System Administration Guide: Solaris Containers-Resource Management and Solaris Zones - Sun Microsystems

1.what are types of zones we can install in global zone???

2.Exact difference between sparce root and whole root???

3.can we change the ip address of a running zone???

4.how to find our in which zone we are running and how many zones are running

5.how to list the zones that already exist in a system??

Thanks a lot kumar

I'm not supporting people doing other people's homework especially when no sign of personal effort is shown.

Moreover, Kumarmani's answers are partially incomplete/incorrect,

1: There are different types of whole root zones.
2: You can have read-only filesystems on whole root zones too. Sparse zones specificity is more about packages handling.
3: The answer is both off topic and incorrect
4: Partly incorrect, hostname doesn't tell you in which zone you are.
5: Correct.

Hi jlliagre , I never thought this I am doing some ones home work. Also I am going through this topics so my idea was to get validate my understanding on given questions.

Can you please help on 3 and 4th question?

No problem.

You can change any of the IP addresses of a running zone from the global one without taking it down or whatever. This is certainly not recommended as it would break ongoing TCP/IP communication from/to that zone using that IP address and might confuse the zone too.

The command "zonename", not "hostname" will tell you what zone you are in.

Finally, you didn't asked but branded and native zones a certainly different types of zones that can be installed on the global one.

Thanks jlliagre

Can you please shed some light in term of difference between all these 4 zones and any link as in how we can configure the native and branded zones?

Branded zones presenting a different OS level interface than the global zone one to applications running inside them.
This can be a different OS release (Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 containers on SPARC) or a whole different OS (Linux zones on x86).

Here are some links that might help:
Branded Zones (System Administration Guide: Solaris Containers-Resource Management and Solaris Zones) - Sun Microsystems
Solaris Containers
Zones and Containers FAQ at OpenSolaris.org