Solaris U10 - Crash OS

Hello,

I an triyng to write an emergency procedure, and I need your help, or point of view.

I trying to find a way to get connected to an U10 Sun Solaris by the serial port to be able to get access to the system to debug systeme crash before restarting the server.

The SUN U10 does not have MGT or NET admin port. So mouse and keyboard are linked to the avocent, but this useless in case of a system crash.

I did try 10 times to get connected to the system by the serial port using Putty or Hyper terminal, but all failed.... Only once, when I rebooted the serveur with the serial port connected.

If anyone may share his experience or help.

It may be impossible to make it work, but if anyone knows how to do, I will be pleased to read it ... ; )

Thanks

Should be no problem to connect to the serial port of an U10. Done that a lot... You'll need a null modem cable and you should be set.

1 Like

Dear DukeNuke2,

I will check my cable and see if I can get a null modem ; )

But, I've read somewhere that if a solaris boot's up with a keyboard and vga attached, the output will go to the vga, not the serial port ?

So should I modified some configuration files on the system to make it work ?

Thanks ; )

so what is the reason to connect to the serial port if you already have console access with the monitor and the keyboard?

anyways, new solaris servers used to ship with silver-colored null modem adapters so you may see them around if you folks got the servers new ... if you do not see any of them and you cannot find a null modem, you can change the pinouts on a serial adapter to make your own null modem ... see the diagrams here for guidance on the pinouts ...

1 Like