Solaris latest CPU patch graphics/gui issue

We just installed the latest Oracle Solaris 10 Sparc 64-Bit CPU patch (10/2012) and we are no longer able to access the GUI or the console after the OBP. We believe that this is a graphics issue. It has affected out t2000 xvr-200 graphics server and also out v440 xvr-100 graphics server.

We are still able to login remotely via ssh/telnet but we cannot login directly via the console or through the gui (monitor or kvm).

On the T2000 we are getting a white screen with black distorted lines and on the v440 we are getting an error 'The X-Server can not be started on display:0'.

We have tried to rollback and remove patches that has anything this to do with graphics. We have added packages and rm packages. We have tried to install the original xvr -x00 graphics disc that came with the servers but no luck. We have also contacted Oracle support and they have had us install a few packages and patches but still no luck. We have tried to adust the framebuffer with just about every resolution possible. We have also tried to disable the dtprofile to see if it will go straight to the console.

If there are any suggestions, please feel free to chime in. Also, if anyone has patched a t2000 or v440 , v880, or v120 with th latest CPU patchset (10/2012). Let me know if you are able to access the oracle solaris login gui or the console. :wall:

Yes, I've had some nasty experience in applying the latest patchsets to T2000's. Sun/Oracle don't seem to warn you to check SC firmware versions, etc. There seems to be differing results out there in the Solaris community but applying the latest patchsets can stuff your system in a number of ways it seems.

I recommend that you check Firmware, OBP and Hypervisor versions before you do anything else.
I don't recommend you trying to go backwards uninstalling anything or modifying anything since applying a patchset should work.
Bring Firmware, OBP and Hypervisor right up to date and then apply all the latest patches you can lay your hands on.

Post back any questions/results.

See this too......

1 Like

Thanks hicksd8 for the info. We figured it out. It was a SUNWusb package that was previously removed. We reinstalled the package and rebooted. It worked like a charm. We now have a gui on the console (KVM/monitor)

Again thanks for your help. It was greatly appreciated.:slight_smile: