Solaris installation

I'm not sure about the graphical environment, this usally starts automatically with the full installation, anything below that level of installation, i don't know if it'll be installed but seeing as the command worked, it should all be running.

Hardware ect meaning other hardware you might have, more hardware that sort of thing, as for old computers just look on ebay, you can't miss them. :smiley:

franz

I have been working with Linux since 1997. So I am familiar with UNIX.
Nowadays I work with open SuSE, Mandriva 2007 and Fedora Core. All of them work fine.

Solaris should work if the installation were smooth.

When I studied networking, it was Solaris.

I mean school used Solaris to teach UNIX because Solaris is the dominant UNIX flavor in this country. School used Sun SPARC computers.

We installed Solaris as a part of the course and worked with it too.
So I am not new to Solaris.

However, I have never ever work with Solaris after learning at school.
I tried to install it some 8 months ago. There were problems and I gave up.
I want to install Solaris and work with it.
I need your help.

fair play, didn't mean to suggest that you were, this might help:

Solaris 10 6/06 Release Notes

There's no such thing as a HD being "incompatible" if you can connect it to the MB. IDE is a standard, so is SCSI, and ATA.

You posted 2 video cards, which one is it? The Gforce or the ATI? Which one are you using? Have you checked if either is listed in the HCL?
Have you checked that your MB is listed in the HCL?

That you have a working installation of anything other than Solaris doesn't mean much other than the computer's parts may be working properly. Windows and Linux were created and still are meant to be run on x86, unlike Solaris which was concieved and is mainly used on the SPARC architecture. As long as the x86 equipment you are using is in the HCL, it should work.

This computer has open SuSE, Mandriva and Fedora Core.
All works fine and I am writing to you using open SuSE 10.2.
If I want I can write here in Mandriva and Fedora Core too.

However, I like open SuSE . One of the reasons is I have all my bookmarks are on open SuSE side.

I inserted a new 500 GB hard drive to this computer some months ago and created a couple of logical partitions.

I can try to install Solaris on this computer if it is possible to install on an logical partition. I don't think Solaris and Windows works on logical partitions.

Is it possible to install Solaris on an logical partition?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a separate computer to install Solaris and Windows 2003 server.
There are unsurmountable problems to install Solaris on it. I am tired of trying again and again. I have been struggling with this for almost a week.

The problems may or may not be unsurmountable, but you are going the wrong way about it. You are all over the place with partitions and hardware and are bent on making this work your way, just because you could install Solaris in a class box some time ago.

That you have other OSs working on your hardware means nothing. No matter how many times you say you can use SuSE ort Mandriva or whatever, it means nothing. So stop posting it.

Whatever computer you use, I would suggest to you 3 things:

1.- VERIFY THAT YOUR HARDWARE IS LISTED IN THE HCL Solaris OS: Hardware Compatibility Lists

2.- AFTER you have VERIFIED that your hardware is in the HCL, install Solaris by itself first. Learn what happens when you install it.

3.- THEN, there are plenty of tutorials about dual booting a box with Solaris and something else. The Sun Bigadmin site has a couple, like this one BigAdmin Submitted Article: Quad Boot With Windows, Sun Java Desktop System, and the Solaris Operating System

SystemShock

I obliged to you and download the HCL file.

The file has the end .jnlp.
My system failed to open it.
Firefox failed to open it.

How do you open a .jnlp file.?
What is .jnlp ?
What shall I do this with file?
I tried in vain to open it with Konqueror browser as well as a text editor.

I have never ever heard about the existence of .jnlp files.

According to the prerequisites noted by Sun, it should be able to open by
my open SuSE 10.2.

The file is 'sddtool_20.jnlp [ Sun Detection Device Tool 2.0]

It is a small 1.53Kb file

There's no file to download. The link is to a web page at sun.com/bigadmin/hcl

If you fail to run the sdd, Java isn't properly installed in your browser or OS. Firefox should work otherwise.

Alternatively, you can use the installation check tool CD:
BigAdmin HCL: Solaris Express Installation Check Tool

I thank both of you for the comments.
jlliagre suggested downloading and burning a CD from the Sun's website.

I downloaded it and burned it using K3b program. It is a bootable CD of 80.8MB.
[ install_check_sx_1.3.iso ]

It worked fine.

All my hardware are compatible. It struggled for about 90 minutes with the following error messages.

configuration /dev
------------------------------------

1. ata_command: select failed DRDY 0X1 CMD 0Xef ...

2. Warning: /pci@0/pci 1106, f238@e 3,3 /pci-ide@ 0 ...

3. Vendor 'Gen-ATA ' error code: 0x3

4. ata_disk_start: select failed

It is obvious that the problems of my hardware with Solaris are unsurmountable.

My advice would be for you to install some Gnu/Linux distro then VirtualBox then Solaris.

jlliagre

I have already installed open SuSE 10.3 and Windows 2003 server. Both works fine. GRUB gives me the choice of the operating system.

How do I make a VirtualBox? What is it?

VirtualBox is a free virtualization solution:
VirtualBox - VirtualBox
You can download a virtualbox package for SuSE 10.3 here: Downloads - VirtualBox

Thanks jlliagre

I have successfully downloaded it on to my system. It created a beautiful icon.
I must click 'new' and continue installing a 'guest' operating system.

I have struggled about 4 hours.
It does not work.
There are error messages.

1. VirtualBox kernel drive not installed.
  2. The voboxdrv kernel was not created for some reason.
    3.Re-setup the kernel module by executing ' /etc/init.d/vboxdrv.setup'

I looked at the folder 'etc/init.d' . There is no vboxdrv.setup' on my system.

These problems are unsurmountable.
I have to spend hours after hours without any success.

Are you successful working with VirtualBox?
I know the existence of a similar rubbish called VMWare.
However, VMWare is not 100% free. I think Zen is free.

I am spending hours and hours without any success.

There is a forum run by VirtualBox.
I registered so I can ask them.
They are strange people.
I must fax or post a paper to finalize the registration.
I don't have a fax machine.
On top of that I don't find their postal address.

Hi.

I just registered on that forum, and, as is commonly the case, they emailed me an activation link. I clicked that, logged in, and could post. The registration took about 2 minutes, the email took longer, perhaps 10 minutes:

Are you implying that you do not have a usable email account for the activation? ... cheers, drl

Hi drl
Here I am pasting their email. I am not pasting my email address here.
I don't want to publish it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to virtualbox.org Forums

In compliance with the COPPA act your account is currently inactive.

Please print this message out and have your parent or guardian sign and date it. Then fax it to:

OR mail it to:

------------------------------ CUT HERE ------------------------------
Permission to Participate at virtualbox.org

Username: Harper
Password: hotmail
Email: I removed my email address

ICQ Number:
AIM Address:
MSN Messenger:
Yahoo Messenger:
Web Site:
Interests:

I HAVE REVIEWED THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BY MY CHILD AND HEREBY GRANT PERMISSION TO virtualbox.org TO STORE THIS INFORMATION.
I UNDERSTAND THIS INFORMATION CAN BE CHANGED AT ANY TIME BY ENTERING A PASSWORD.
I UNDERSTAND THAT I MAY REQUEST FOR THIS INFORMATION TO BE REMOVED FROM virtualbox.org AT ANY TIME.

Parent or Guardian
(print your name here): _____________________

(sign here): __________________

Date: _______________

------------------------------ CUT HERE ------------------------------

Once the administrator has received the above form via fax or regular mail your account will be activated.

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this account.

Thank you for registering.

--
Best regards,
VirtualBox Community Administration
-------------------------------------------------
What do you think?

Hi.

So you are under the age of 13? ... cheers, drl

No I am over 40 now.

Hi.

An email address for the board administrator was provided as info@virtualbox.org

My suggestion would be to try to make that contact, explaining the situation with the registration problem. Often the only action that you are prevented from taking at such forums is posting messages. You should be able to read posts, but I am not sure how they have set up the rules for searching and other activities.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

I registered to this VirtualBox forum a few days ago and the process was seamless and straighforward.

I didn't check the I'm under 13 years old as I'm not. I guess you did check that box by mistake.