Solaris 9 -- unable to set permanent PATH

Hi,
I've read forums far and wide trying to learn how to append to my PATH in Solaris 9 and every time I think I am close I discover my system is not configured the same. Its so frustrating because this all stems from a new server I am trying to setup identical to the production machine. (Of course I didn't configure the production box and on that machine it works how I want it).

So to recap what I am trying to accomplish.

In Solaris 9 add paths to the PATH env variable permanently; other words every time I start a ssh session switch to root I get the path and don't have to add it each time. And applications I start will continue to run with those env variables even after disconnect.

Other details:
My system doesn't utilize home directories, don't know why but they don't exist, not that this should matter since the prod box doesn't use them. I've looked in the /etc/default and /etc/login on the production machine but nothing matches the path I see when type "set" at the console. I've looked for .bashcrc and the .crsch files and I can't find them using "find" so I don't believe these are not the problem. I've also looked at the /etc/skel files but the path isn't there either. Last detail; the PATH I want that shows on prod machine only appears when logged in as root.

So from what I understand I've tried everything that has been posted. Now I am resorting to posting my own experience. I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Thor

have a look at the file "/.profile" for the PATH settings.

Root's specific path can be set by commenting out and modifying the SUPATH variable in /etc/default/su and /etc/default/login.

I didn't have /.profile on my system. However when I looked at the SUPATH in SU I was led to exactly the information I needed.

I am very thankful for the info Jlliagre this solved my issue and I guarantee I won't forget it.

All the different ways to set variables seems convoluted, but I am catching on.

Thor

The /etc/default/login is where to modify PATH

this was already answered in post #3! please read all answers to avoid double posts...