Solaris 5.10 "Move Pointer" stuck

Hey there,

I joined this forum just now cause I need help with an old SUN machine at work. I work on a helpdesk and we use a SOLARIS 5.10 OS. Every once in a while we will try to move one of our windows out of the way to make room on the desktop, and sometimes the mouse doesn't release what we are moving. It gets stuck on the "move pointer". Even if we figure out how to kill the window that we were moving in the first place it still doesn't release the mouse. We have a 4 head workstation and when this happens the pointer doesn't leave the screen that it got stuck on. Its like its waiting for me to tell it to do something but all the options are off the screen. The only way to fix this is to log out and back in, but it can take hours to bring everything up again that we need. I'd love to figure this out for myself and my coworkers cause its driving us nuts! Please Help, thanks!

Which desktop/windowmanager are you using? Can you post scrennshots?

How would I be able find which desktop\windowmanager? I can't do screenshots unfortunately.

What is the output of these commands:

echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
dmesg | grep -i mouse

hth

On the login screen you should be able to choose your desktop.

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. When I enter these two commands I don't get any returns. The first one just says unidentified variable, and the second one just returns to a prompt.

---------- Post updated at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:02 PM ----------

On the log in screen the only thing I can see that would be the desktop session option is CDE. Does that help?

Common Desktop Environment (CDE)

Maybe you can find some hints...

It looks like a bug in the Xserver. Perhaps it helps to install a higher patch 119059-xx.
Related: the CDE window manager (dtwm, patch 119278-xx) and the graphics driver(s).