Solaris 2.6 exec login fails

Ladies and Gentlemen;
I need your help in determining what has happened to one of my companies systems. Here is the scenario:
System Ultra 5 with Solaris 2.6 and the latest patch cluster installed. Third party security person "hardened" the system yesterday. Now when I login into CDE and open a terminal window and run the exec login command the login prompt appears, I enter the same login I used to login into CDE with and password and the window just disappears. I have checked the /etc/profile, /etc/login files all seem un-touched.

The only way I have been able to duplicate this error on a non-hardened system was to set the "no root login" on console option in the /etc/default/login file. I then opened up a terminal and tried the exec login command (as root) and got the same results as on the system that was hardened (the window just disappears).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully;
Mark K.

No root login except on console is the norm for most companies - changing it will probably be breaking your company policies - you should check with your company first to see if it's allowed. There is no reason to login as root except on the console.

That being said, look in /etc/default/login. The line CONSOLE=/dev/console is not commented in your case. See the man page for login.

RE: Exec login fails Resolved
Well boys and girls put this away for a rainy day. I figured out what happened to cause exec login to stop functioning. As you may recall in my first post I explained that exec login stopped working after a third party had "hardened" the system. Well one of the files that was hardened was the /var/adm/utmpx, whoose original permissions were 644 after the "hardening" they were 640. Once I changed the permissions back exec login worked just fine.

Problem solved.

Regards - Mark K.