Solaris 11.2 doesn't boot

Hi, one of my server won't boot. I restarted system while sysconfig configure was running. I can't boot into normal user mode. I always get error svc:/system/config-user:default is in maintenance mode and some lib exists with status 95.

I tried to boot into single user mode and to clear this service -> no luck
Tried to re-run sysconfig configure -> no luck
Tried to run sysconfig create-profile -> no luck

does anybody have some idea ?

and yes, log file is clean

I seem to recall that Solaris creates a file during first installation and when sysunconfigure or something like that is run. It does delete a load of configuration stuff including SSH server keys, network settings etc. - or at least it did when i worked on Solaris 2.6 :o

There is probably a manual page for it, but I'm failing to get the command name right, so I can't read it myself (not having Solaris any more)

Maybe following the process that does might clear out a half-cooked server and next boot will ask you to define them all again. I'm assuming that this is not a server in production use yet because of what you were doing, but it might need some rework if there were some application development services on it.

I hope this helps, but sorry for being a bit vague. Perhaps it would be wise to wait until others have put in their thoughts before just ploughing on with this.

Robin

1 Like

Hi,

After Solaris 10/8 or 9 there is a failsafe boot option "boot -F" or "boot -F failsafe" I think that should at least get you up and running then you'll have to revert the kernel and redo the process.

Or it may actually give you a list of the changed files from memory.

Regards

Dave

1 Like

I issued sysunconfigure command :slight_smile:
After a few questions and one restart I was able to boot the system.

1 Like

Hi,

Good news then:b:

Regards

Dave

Glad to know you are working again. Might be time to get a backup and test your DR plans. What do you go for?

• Your own hardware always running/replicating at another site
  • Your own hardware but idle and overwritten with your production system when you need it
  • A 3rd party supplier at another site with a blank machine that you overwrite when you need it

That leads on to two questions:-

• If it's an overwrite, what tool do you use to get the first boot of your recovered OS.
  • If it's always running & replicating, how do you protect yourself from a catastrophic error being replicated, rather than just hardware failure?

Regards,
Robin

Nope. I have one server which my firm gave me for playing, I'm student intern and I love to destroy and fix stuff :stuck_out_tongue: