Solaris 11.0 - 11.1 - 11.2 - 11.3

Currently I have a Solaris 11.0 global zone with a few zones on it, I am now required to have 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3 zones running at the same time. Anyone know how this can be accomplished?

Hi,

I'd be surprised if you can do this, as the global zone will potentially be unaware of the additional functionality especially when it comes to 11.3

What type of hardware is it, you would be better running each of these in a separate LDOM.

Regards

Gull04

Thanks for your response, I'm running on a Sparc T4-2 I believe. I'm still scouring docs to see if this can be done even if I have to upgrade my global zone to .3

You can't have Solaris 11.1+ NGZ on a 11.0 GZ. All non global zones must be in sync with the global zone as far as the Solaris 11.x version is concerned.

However, you might use the virtualization capabilities of your hardware to create more than one global zone on your server.

Keep your current installation as a Solaris 11.0 control domain and create new guest domains using the various Solaris 11.x releases expected. You might also limit the amount of new ldoms by using kernel zones, which are global zones too, on top of Solaris 11.2 or Solaris 11.3 ldoms.

1 Like

I do not fully understand what is going on here. However, it is possible to use solaris 10/13 branded zones on 11.n global zones. They are a PITA to create and install.
You have to run a gigantic script, mess with networking, etc. It takes about 3 hours to create one zone. One good point - you can then clone more zones pretty quickly from the new branded zone -- much less chance to make typos.

This won't help in the OP case though, as you can't have Solaris 11 branded zones running on a Solaris 11 global zone.

I'm not sure I get why you would need to do this? anything that is compatible with 11.0 "should" be compatible with .1 .2 and .3. Even if you have some individual package dependencies all you would need to do is downgrade and freeze those particular packages.