solaris 10 u5 what happens if no default route configured

Hi,

I am new to solaris 10. What is the procedure the os takes if a default route is not configured? I am using a multihomed server with 4 interfaces. It looked strange to me this morning, because i had not defined a default route it defaulted to making one up, with the ip address of another server on the network?

If no default route configured does it do a broadcast ping on the network and pick a gateway that way? There can be multiple default routes, how is a default route choosen in that case, on a round robin basis?

I may be wrong but don't see how you can get a default route without defining it in the /etc/defaultrouter file or the system picking it up from dhcp or boot server...

i thought that too but there isnt anything configured in /etc/defaultrouter. no dhcp it has static ip addresses.

maybe there is a script somewhere that is setting the default gateway at boot time

route add default 192.168.2.1

if no route is defined, the server can only talk to the networks he is configured for... to check if there are routes configured, run the command:

# netstat -rn

I'm afraid you are wrong thinking defaultrouter is the only way to configure a default route.

Solaris uses RIPv1, RIPv2 and Internet routing discovery protocols to automatically configure its routing table when no defaultrouter is defined.

svcs "*routing*"
man in.routed 

i haven't said that defaultrouter is the only way to configure routes. but if you don't specify a router solaris fills the routing table via rip (as you correctly said). but nobody can be sure that you can reach a specific network if a wrong/unwanted route is discovered.
a defaultrouter is a good thing to configure! there are many services that depends on routing. e.g. ipmp...

Indeed. I was actually replying to the previous posters.

i missed that :wink:

ah ha jlliagre.... ive done a snoop and can see the server sending ripv1 broadcasts, now I know where the default route has came from on the other server.

Thanks for that :slight_smile: