Solaris 10 - rexplorer and Non-Global zones

Hi all - not really a problem as such, but just hoping someone can shed some light.

We point rexplorer to multiple Global zones and it works as expected. However, each Non-Global zone get around a hundred of root su'ing to root messages, i.e.:

SU 07/14 03:02 + ??? root-root

When we created the Non-Global zones we got the message saying the explorer packafe wasn't installed, i.e.:

*** package <SUNWexplo> was not installed:

But I didn't think it would be a requirement to install it anyway since surely all that is done at the Global level where it is installed.

So the question... is it normal functionality for rexplorer to continuously su to root when running against Non-Global zones? Or is it actually a problem?

The rexplorer output log does report certain things not being installed ( WUNWsccli, A3X00 etc.) but presumably that's not a problem as we don't see all these logins at the Global zone level.

Thanks in advance for any help. :slight_smile:

is the Global zone an LDOM? if so you might have to install SUNWExplo on each server.

try it with these switches from the global.

/opt/SUNWexplo/bin/explorer -w default,localzones,smfextended -C (SR #) 
1 Like

Hi - thanks for that. Unfortunately it's not an LDOM they are just zones.

What I've found on Google seems to say that it's correct that for our architecture to just install it at Global level (but all the root su to root in the local zone just doesn't seem right).

Maybe that's just the way it works! :rolleyes:

So you are trying to run explorer from the zone? it won't work.

you can only run explorer from the global. if you are having trouble with a zone, send them the explorer from the global with the switches I provided.

1 Like

Hi. No that's the issue - if it is indeed an issue and not just the crazy way it works!

The rexplorer module is only pointed to the Global zones but for some reason when it runs it's triggering multiple root su's to root on the Non-Global zones (by multiple I mean usually around 75-100 in a ten minute period).

so it sounds like it's trying to gather info on the ngz for the explorer output. are your GZ setup in such a way that they are not allowed to zlogin? or are you running trusted solaris?