Solaris 10 network configuration problem with zone

I am seeking help from the gurus in this forum and hope that I can find answers soon. Anyone who provide the answers will be greatly appreciated.

I have a sparc box with Solaris 10 on it. We install Solaris with zone structure. One global zone and two other zone. I installed Oracle DB on global zone successfully. But Oracle DBconsile couldn't find correct IP address mapping with hostname or qualified hostname.domain. I did some steps to test like this:

1. login box as root user

2. $>hostname, I got correct hostname.domain

3.$>nslookup 190.90.80.20 (IP address), I got
Server: 190.90.90.34
Address: 190.90.90.34 # 35
Server can't find 20.80.90.190 in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN
(my box's hostname and IP didn't show up here)

4.$>nslookup hostname, I got
Server: 190.90.90.35
Address: 190.90.90.35 # 35
Server can't find hostname: SERVFAIL

5.$>nslookup hostname.domain.com, I got
Server: 190.90.90.35
Address: 190.90.90.35 # 35
Server can't find hostname.domain.com: NXDOMAIN.

I think this might be caused by network configuration during zone installation. So how could I fix this problem? Please advise me with details.

So you have a PTR record configured in DNS somewhere for this server?

Otherwise nslookup will fail - that's expected.

zazzybob:

Thanks for your advice. But I didn't understand 'PTR record configured in DNS'. Could you please give more details or examples?

Are your IP address and server name configured in the DNS server you are using?

porter:

Frankly speaking, I am not sure. I am going to check. But I did nslookup on Solaris server. The hostname and IP on server couldn't be mapped correctly. I have added server's IP and hostname on the host file at my local machine(my laptop). I can ping server either by IP or hostname successfully. Now problem is on the server. Please comment on it. Thanks.

On your server have you checked the nsswitch.conf file and made sure it looks in both file and dns?

Solaris - nsswitch.conf (4)

Porter:

Thanks for your advice and link. I have checked /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/nsswitch.dns files. They all list as: hosts files dns. I may need to enter DNS server IP into /etc/resolv.conf.