solaris 10 Interface not found:NIC

Hi Gurus
Im a fresher and im working.I installed solaris 10 on my windows PC(dual boot) but im not able plumb my interface..everytime i use ifconfig command and tried different interfaces like eri0,ce0 etc but its displaying that interface not found.I know that there is some problem with my Ethernet cards.im not not able to recover from this situation.do i have fit in a NIC that will support solaris 10 in windows.

My second question is that i tried solaris 10 in vmware but in my laptop the same prob is displayed..When i plumb the interface its like file or directory not found.

Hey,

i think your device is not a sun standard device like ce0....
You can show your devices by dladm show-dev, then plumb
the founded devices.

cu
lowbyte

ya i performed all those commands but im not able to figure out which interface to plumb from that.plz do tel me how to recover from this prob.

It would help if you post "dladm show-dev" output.

In any case, "ifconfig -a plumb" would plumb whatever supported interface is found.

/usr/X11/bin/scanpci 

will tell you what manufacturer/devices are connected, supported by an installed driver or not.

Hi
ive attached the output for the /usr/X11/bin/scanpci command.This is the output for solaris 10 in vmware.

Im not able to get anythin wen i give the command dladm show-dev or dladm show-link..

check ur /etc/path_to_inst ... i have sol10 installed in vmware server on my laptop and i can see e1000g0 interface .. it could be different for u but it should be in /etc/path_to_inst

Hi fugitive

this is the output from the command /etc/path\_to_instance..i cant c any interface...

k i had the same problem when i installed the vmware server on my IBM laptop with solaris10 .. i guess ur host systems network interface is not recognized by the solaris10 :frowning:

So what will i have to do so that i can run my solaris 10 on my laptop or my desktop pc.

Start by posting a usable (i.e. not truncated) scanpci output.

Also, poste the output of these commands:

ifconfig -a plumb
ifconfig -a

Hi
im not getting any output from the message ifconfig -a plumb..Im getting only the loopback address wen i perform ifconfig -a command..i dont kno how to recover from this situation..

you need to install drivers for you NIC. solaris can't see your interfaces...

drivers for the card which are present are installed but do i have to fit in a new NIC card which will support solaris 10 and install those drivers...

Try to install VMware tools to convert the PCN devices to VMXNET devices (I had some problem with PCN).

hope this helps

Once more, please post a usable (i.e. not truncated) scanpci output. I strongly doubt no driver exists for your NIC.