Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch.

I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a CD drive installed, however this model of computer used IDE drives. So I installed a dvd drive, and configured it as secondary master.

probe-ide recognized both HDD and DVD drive. It booted, and made it through the identification stage, but exited when it got to /sbin/install-solaris.

iostat -En does not recognize the DVD drive.

I could use some help with this as once this is working I can use network build from this point.

or would I be better off finding the solaris 8 media, and building up from there.

tks/g

Does /sbin/install-solaris exit with an error? Please post any error output from the installation.

The initial message was error reading medium

"There were problems loading the media from /cdrom"

The DVD drive you installed, unless it is a SUN/oracle branded DVDROM, the install disc won't have the drivers to talk to it, hence missing from iostat -En. See if you can bag one from ebay, else the other option is to setup a jumpstart environment which is an overkill for just one time/one machine installation.

I was able to get a new Sun DVD drive. still have the same issue. I found several conflicting reports stating it is no problem and should work, and others that say it rarely works. my conclusion is that either there is something simple I am missing is setting-up the dvd drive, or it is not possible to use a dvd drive in the Ultra 10.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
g