Solaris 10 11/06 Zone creation issue

Hi,
I am new to zone creations in solaris 10. When I try to create a zone with "set ip-type=exclusive" it gives the usage.

OS

Solaris 10 11/06 s10s_u3wos_10 SPARC
           Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                           Assembled 14 November 2006

Problem

-bash-3.00# zonecfg -z z1
z1: No such zone configured
Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
zonecfg:z1> create
zonecfg:z1> set ip-type=exclusive
usage:
set <property-name>=<property-value>

For resource type ... there are property types ...:
        (global)        zonename
        (global)        zonepath
        (global)        autoboot
        (global)        pool
        (global)        limitpriv
        fs              dir, special, raw, type
        inherit-pkg-dir dir
        net             address, physical
        device          match
        rctl            name, value
        attr            name, type, value
        dataset         name

??

Please help me.

If you are trying to set an IP address then you shoud first issue "add net".

For example:

zonecfg:z1> add net
zonecfg:z1:net> set physical=hme0
zonecfg:z1:net> set address=192.168.1.20
zonecfg:z1:net> end

i think update 3 can not use exclusive ip interfaces. you need a newer solaris version for this feature.

5.What's New in the Solaris 10 8/07 Release (Solaris 10 What's New) - Sun Microsystems

update 4 is the first release with the exclusive feature...

1 Like

What is the newer version,
Solaris 10 11/06 or Solaris 10 08/07 ?

How to upgrade to update 4 or please let me know exact version of Solaris support exclusive IPs and from where I can download it (Could not find 10 8/07 in the Oracle site).

just download the latest release of solaris (update 9). there are different approaches to do an update. the choice depends on your configuration and your requirements.

one approach could be this:
BigAdmin Sun Docs: How to Upgrade the Solaris 10 OS With Non-global Zones Using Solaris Live Upgrade

1 Like

Please bear in mind, that Oracle changed the Solaris license. Update 9 is only free for development, test and demonstration use, whereas update 8 seems still to be free for production use (please correct me on this, if I am wrong).

1 Like

11/06 = November 2006 (update 3)
08/07 = August 2007 (update 4)
10/09 = October 2009 (update 8)
09/10 = September 2010 (update 9)

1 Like

Thank you all. I will try to download update 8 in that case. I will update once I install and tryied it.

Hi,
I checked it and working fine with x86 version. But I downloaded the update 8 image and burnt into a dvd. But I can not boot from that dvd. What can be the reason? Is there any way to upgrade the system from update3 to update 8?

It should be possible to upgrade from u3 to u8. What did you do to boot from DVD and what happened?

It does not start boot. Nothing happen just cursor is blinking for long time. Now I have the image in the machine that reuired to be upgraded. How can I start it?

Let me rephrase my question. You are on a SPARC system. So you need to boot from DVD from the OBP prompt. What steps did you take to shut down the running system and reboot from DVD? Are you sure, you tried to boot from a SPARC DVD?

It is very clear to me. I have a V240 Sun Sparc server. I wan to install Solaris 10 10/09(update 8) to it.

I have downloaded the dvd iso image from Oracle.com and burnt into dvd using PowerISO.

1. I have power off the server and removed hard disk.
  2. Power on the server and insert the DVD.
  3. Wait till ok promt (Till it display:
    Can't open boot device

{1} ok ) and typed "boot cdrom"
4. Then the bootup process is not starting. Wait for 30 mins.
5. I have installed earlier versions and have experience in installing Solaris.

Hope it is clear now. :).

What ca be the reason? I saw lot of places where lot of users reporting the same problem.

Double check your downloaded the SPARC version, not the x86 one.
Are you sure PowerISO didn't corrupt the image while recording ?

The version is sparc. It is 100% sure. But I can not assure PowerISO did not brake the image. But I have the original image in the server. Any luck of upgrading from image directly?

No way I'm aware of to install from an image on the same server but you can binary compare the dvd content and the image.

you can setup a jumpstart server to use the image directly. but before that, please check the md5 checksum of the image. at the download location you should find the original checksum...

#digest -a md5 sol-10-u8-ga-sparc-dvd.iso
757275ae7cd3a59150dc74dfcfd324da

check sum is wrong :mad: