significance of "+" char in SunOS "ls -l" output

Hi,

I've noticed that the permissions output from "ls -l" under SunOS differs from Linux in that after the "rwxrwxrwx" field, there is an additional "+" character that may or may not be there. What is the significance of this character?

Thanks,
Suan

`man ls` will tell you

Well, I don't mean to sound touchy, but don't you think I've tried that already? I've also tried the man page for chmod and the info pages for both. There is no mention of the symbol whatsoever, except that it is part of the format.

Well whatever it means, what I really want is to know how to MAKE a file have that symbol, because I've noticed that the files that have that symbol are behaving the way I want them to, so if anyone could point out how to do that, I'd be really grateful.

search for 'man ls'
first link is man page for ls
Using page search feature build into my browser I looked for +

First hit is what you're looking for

So the + means there's an ACL on the file.

ls(1) � list contents of directory (man pages section 1: User Commands) - Sun Microsystems

By the way. I owe 30% of my career to documentation such as man pages. Reading the docs is part of what made me a senior systems admin. In fact I just finished a 12 hour shift doing Solaris patching where obscure kernel patch and ZFS issues were solved by man pages and Sun articles.

Ok, point taken. At least now I know where better to look in the future. Thanks for your help!

Another man page: setfacl(1) (man Pages(1): User Commands) - Sun Microsystems

Beware that the previous setfacl man page link is for Solaris 2.6 so might be outdated.
Latest man pages (SunOS 5.11) are there:
setfacl(1) � modify the Access Control List (ACL) for a file or files (man pages section 1: User Commands) - Sun Microsystems
And for NFSv4 ACLs (ZFS), setfacl is no more used but replaced by chmod:
chmod(1) � change the permissions mode of a file (man pages section 1: User Commands) - Sun Microsystems