Showing "permission denied" when trying to login in - Montavista Linux

Hello friends,

I have scratched my system and after that when I am trying to access the console via root login it's failing with an error message of "permission denied". I am able to access the other login, I am having only problem with root and some other user login. I am using an telnet session for this connection.

I strongly believe that this is something related to the file permission/group/ownership related issue ?? If any of you are expert in this area please do help me to find a solution. Your help will be appreciated.

Do you guys think telnet is disabled for some specific users, I have checked my /etc/passwd file and I haven't seen any nologin entry there :frowning:

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

root-login is limited to terminals listed in /etc/securetty.

1 Like

hergp: Exactly. All the terminal names are already there in the /etc/securetty file. I am pasting some of the entries in the file. Do you think something else is causing the issue. Because I am getting permission denied for only two logins ( root and scadm login), with all other login I am able to enter the console.

That too after entering in the working login, I am able to enter in to the root using "su". I think the thing is going more tricky here.

# for people with serial port consoles
ttyS0

# for devfs
tts/0

# Standard consoles
tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6
tty7