Should We Cancel Spotify in Support of Neil Young?

I'm admitted bias because I am a big Neil Young fan, especially his early years. I grew up playing and singing his songs with friends.

Today, I sent this message to Spotify in support of Neil Young:

FYI. I will more-than-likely cancel my subscription because of what Spotify has done in the Neil Young Joe Rogan issue regarding right-wing nut case podcasts on Spotify. I love Spotify; but this support of the misinformation king Joe Rogan shows that Spotify has low moral ethics and cares only for money, not what is right and true. I am so sorry but Spotify is very wrong on this issue and should remove Joe Rogan from Spotify immediately and reinstated the true great artists of the world. What Spotify has done is disgraceful, period.

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 11.42.52 AM

I really like Spotify, but this business stance by Spotify is a slap in the face of all real artists like Neil Young as they support loud mouths with no talent except being a demagogue for extremists.

Joe Rogan is a lowly demagogue who rhetorically exploits issues for political purposes in a way calculated to appeal to the desires and prejudices of ordinary people.

Neil Young is one of the worlds greatest rock artists, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995.

For Spotify to side with a demagogue over a true artist is totally disgusting and unacceptable in my view.

Do you agree?

Or do you think that Spotify's desire for profit is more important than policing misinformation and demagoguery?

1 Like

FYI, here was the Spotify "support" reply:

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.09.56 PM\

See Also:

2 Likes

Hat's off to Joni Mitchell!

Will other famous artists follow suit, show support for Neil Young, and pull their content off Spotify?

1 Like

Well I can only applause the decision of these great artists I am a fan of Joni Mitchell too, since I read when I was 14 that Greg Lake thought the world of her music and talent and me at the time, was crazy of ELP...
I know they cannot change the order of things but they do make think twice (some) people about the sincerity and motivations of some giving news that are distorted...
Of course, we could dream that enough people lose interest in Joe Rog's podcast, that the artists find elsewhere more suitable media for their audio streaming in order to see the price Spotify will pay their silly choice...

2 Likes

Spotify is not something on my personal radar - I've around 1600albums loaded in various parts on a number of harddrives. I've worn out 3 copies of After The Gold Rush, 1 of Harvest over the years ... I'm on my 4th & 2nd copy respectively, I'll leave that there as to what I think of Spotifys decision.

1 Like

Yes; we can only hope more artists follow Neil Young's example. Joni Mitchell's decision was very good, hopefully more are coming.

It's my hope that Spotify reverses their decision soon and if enough artists follow Neil Young's lead, Spotify will have little choice, I think.

With their stock market capitalization falling fast, about $2.1 billion+ down last week while the market was up during the same period, it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming weeks.

I wonder which artist will be next to follow Neil Young's lead (after Joni Mitchell)?

2 Likes

Just cancelled our Spotify Duo plan. My wife fully supports moving to another streaming service because we support Neil Young!

The deed is done. Support Neil Young!

3 Likes

Too be honest, i did not follow the whole shebang at all and i even have no interest in doing so. I did some minor reading about this because i was still curious what this was about as i thought it was more that Joe was being an ass to Neill about something but as i found out this is of course about corona.

Since i do not follow Joe for any corona related content (i mostly watch his comedy shows on netflix and thats it) its hard to know what he has said or asked of his interviewees. It is stupid that people are actually neglecting there own (and others) safety by not letting themselves vaccinated even though its not mandatory in most places (like here in NL its your own choice). I understand that some people have doubts about the medicine as it was developed quite fast and they just want to have some reassurance about it being safe which is publicly available and they do accept that. What i do not understand is how people can be so damn stubborn and use every excuse they can imagine saying that its all a hoax, yes we have our own mass hysteria guy named Willem Engel (who is a dance teacher), and ignore everything that is being presented. What makes it even worse is that there are enough people that actually believe this crap from someone who is not even a scientist and talks complete crap which has been proven multiple times.

Considering this all i think its a good thing that Neill left Spotify and i hope that others will follow but i somehow doubt that this will happen as money always wins over the mind, except for Neill that is.

I must say that i am using Youtube Music since about an year and i really like it. Since it has a good integration with Youtube itself its quite easy to add music to your playlists etc and i can recommend using it. If you dont like any Google products i am afraid there arent that many other streaming services that have a big catalogue to browse from.

1 Like

YT Music is OK.

I find Apple Music has a bigger selection (the biggest) and has some artists I like which YT music does not have.

Apple also has a three month “try for free” promotion which is good.

So far I have tested YT Music, Tidal, and Apple Music.

I like Spotify as much as any of these but have no plans to continue with Spotify until Neil Young is happy with Spotify again :slight_smile:

Tidal is also missing some artists I like and so have not found any joy with Tidal.

1 Like