Shell Scripts for automating server inventory for unix servers

Dear Team,

I am very new to shell scripting & and presently monitoring unix boxes

I am looking for a shell script which will give me the below output
script should contain -
hostname,OS Version,CPU details, Physical Memory, Partitions Details, Network Details and Software Installed, Packages Installed.

Request you to provide me with the same at the earliest.
Many thanks in advance..:slight_smile:

Hi.

The only general-purpose solution I know of is MagniComp - SysInfo(TM) Total System and Storage Asset Information but it is not free, and I doubt that it is a script.

In the Linux world, there are:
Sysinfo - A Linux Box System Information Retriever - Developer Community
and
Linux Post-Install procedures (look for script shavlik)
You might be able to adapt them to various unix boxes.

A search using appropriate terms with Google might produce more possibilities.

For a novice in scripting, I would call this project very ambitious. Best wishes ... cheers, drl

hi drl,

Many thanks for your help ..Its indeed helpful.
Just want to enquire how do i find software installed and packages installed in a script as those are also part of it.

Many thanks in advance.

regards
Whizkid

Hi.

Most systems use package managers to keep track of software. So, for example, RedHat invented rpm, GNU/Debian uses APT, the Solaris 10 box I use has a series of pkg tools, e.g.

pkginfo         pkginfo (1)     - display software package information

FreeBSD uses something similar:

pkg_version(1)           - summarize installed versions of packages

However, a system can be modified -- software can be added -- without the use of a package manager, and then it is more difficult to tabulate the software assets.

Depending on the version of *nix you are using, you'll need to do some research on the appropriate tools. Some special forums exist here at unix.com to help support IBM's aix, Hewlett-Packard's hp-ux, etc.

Again, best wishes, and keep us posted ... cheers, drl

Shell script to display System information such as, Hostname, OS version, Kernel version, Processor/CPU, Total RAM, System load, network interface, total logged in users, Hard disks, Runlevel
Shell script to General FreeBSD and Linux System information

Check out cfg2html:
cfg2html - Config To HTML Collector

It can take a while to run, and may be overkill in your case, but has a lot of info.