SFTP & Passphrase('s)

Hi all,

I generally use the something along the lines of the following when I need to perform SFTP's ...

sftp -v -o IdentityFile=${IdentityFile} \
       -b ${SFTP_BATCH_FILE} \
       ${USRID}@${IP_OR_DNS}:${REMOTE_DIR} 2>&1 | tee -a ${SFTPLOG}

Now currently we are not using any passphrase against our key-pair when generated. However, if I am forced down that path because of security requirements; can I still automate the SFTP transfers without user interaction??

I'm running HPUX-11.23, but have not been able to identify and option/parameter that I could use to facilitate the passphrase.

Any assistance really appreciated.

Cheers,
Cameron

Especially for HP-UX's version of SFTP I'm not sure there is a command line option, consider using expect with passing the password from a script (though it's but insecure to store password in plain file), search the forum for SSH expect scripts.

Thanks for responding sysgate.
It's something that I'm hoping will not become a reality, but some 'people' here have mentioned that it might with providing a clear reason why. Our current setup (example above) has been working without issue for sometime. Not sure if they're trying to take a lend of me - but they're the supposed security experts and if it turns out that I've wasted time and resources my boss has promised to take strips of them :wink:

Not played with expect before & thanks for the keyword.

Cheers,
Cameron

Hello Cameron,

we have running a hp-ux box and there is one user which uses passphrase authentification. Try to make a .ssh2 directory in users home on the target box. Store there the id_dsa.pub, may you have to use ssh from ssh.com, and put a file .ssh2/authorization
In the authorization file, you put in which key to use.

root@hp-ux: / # cat authorization
Key id_dsa.pub

I hope this solves your question.

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks too for your reply.
I should qualify some of what I've mentioned earlier.
Any existing ssh/sftp configurations are to remain as is.
All new ssh/sftp configurations are "apparently" to use the additional passphrase security.
And this will initially be for a Windows setup running WinSSHD with Virtual Accounts established.
Which I've only just set up & have a number of accounts working presently.

I'll reread up on the ssh pages to see what is mentioned regarding dsa keys and their use.

Again, many thanks Frank for the mention. :wink:

Cheers,
Cameron