server/client performance

Ello group,

I have general question about how the performance of server/client should be?
My server is able to answer about 650times per second. Is it good performance?
the apache on the same machine makes 1600/sec BUT there is nine instances of httpd daemon what makes 180/ sec /instance.
of course I realize that such answer depends on source code implementation but as I said it is general question so please send general answer. suppose that we are talking about as simple implementation as it is possible.

how much answers per second server should perform on machine with 'AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+' processor?

tj

ps. if someone would like to see source code of course I'll share with forum.

You correctly noticed that "depends on source code implementation" - I'd add - it depends on what exactly the server does, and which language. 1000 responses per second is generally good. I think you have reach the point of making "Capacity Planning" - depending on the needs you should modify the software, based on the hardware, e.g. In implementation / variant 1 the server should return 500 responses per second; in variant 2, when setting X is adjusted server should return 1000 responses per second, all measured on the same hardware. If you need performance improvement, consider improving the code, benchmark and then modify if needed. There are various ways to measure performance.