Server Confusion

I don't even know where to start with this one. There is so much out there about different aspects of this. I am starting with a basic Ubuntu 11.04 install. Do I need to configure a DNS? I am a little confused about that. What do I need to do for a domain name? I have followed various tutorials, but am still confused. If anyone has an overall explanation of the steps here, I would be appreciative.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    Purpose:

The purpose of this assignment is to familiarize the student with the working of an internet email system. A working email system is critical for any Linux/UNIX system. Many time you will need to setup the email coming from a local system to relay to a master email server.
This assignment should teach you how to setup the email to properly and with some authentication relay to another email server. In this case, you will be using one of your public email addresses and it's email server and you will probably use username/password authentication. You may have to change the port on which "sendmail" is run because some ISPs block this information.
Tasks:

• On the Ubunto system that you created, you are to configure the server to have the capability to send email to the internet. You may need to relay email through a valid email server using username/password authentication.
  • You need to install postfix on the system
    [list]
  • app-get install postfix (hint)
    [/list]
  • You need to install Mail (mailx) on the system
  • You need also need to setup root's email as follows
    [list]
  • A copy should remain local on the machine
  • A copy should be sent to one of your public email addresses
    [list]
  • Don't do that step until you get the public email working
    [/list]

[/list]

Grading criteria:

• A complete copy of a email sent from the server to one of your public email accounts
    [list]
  • The copy should include all of the email headers
    [/list]
  • A copy of all of the mail configuration files that you setup
  • A display of the local mailbox for root
  1. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

2. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

None yet.

1. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):
    UMass Lowell. 90.321 Unix/Linux Administration. Professor Michael Richards.

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

As a domain name server ? No...
But if you dont configure your box to use a DNS, you will find yourself with a rather autistic box that may communicate only with what he knows about: The content of /etc/hosts... Usually you need configuring /etc/resolv.conf in order to resolve domain names... and /etc/nsswitch.conf to say where to look at first and if not found where after...