Sending SMS

Hi,

Can any one tell me how to send SMS using Unix shell scripting. My scenario is whenever my count on particular tables exceeds beyond certain limit i need to trigger out an sms to the client. It could be better if there is no third party tools involved in it.

Thanks in advance...

HI,

You just need to send a mail to the your cell phone. If you are using Korn Shell you can try this .

echo "hello" | mailx -s "test" <cell phone no>@serviceproviders.(net/com).

Before using this you need to confirm with the service provider if this facility is allowable from there side.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Is there any other way to do it. I think we do not have this facility.

Regards,
Saroja.

You may also look into a WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) application.
But first follow the advice of amitkhiare, contact your telephone service provider and ask them if they relay e-mail to SMS.

Are there any settings that needs to be done on the unix box to send the sms on the mobile....

Helo.
I'm afraid that you will have to add new software to your system in order to do so. As far as I know, there's no way to send sms from unix. However, here you are some interesting links. Anyway, you will need a mobile, 3rd party software and/or the help of a service provider.
GNOKII: http://www.gnokii.org/
SMSSEND: skytech.org
SMSClient: http://www.smsclient.org/

If you have a mobile with GSM modem, you can use chat scripts also to send SMS.

Regards.

Hi,

There is a way as amitkhiare said. Using SMS server we don't need any third party tools/software to send SMS from Unix box.

The configuration you need is a username and password on the SMS server.

Thanks,
Saroja.

I have tried sending the sms as Amit said to
mobileno@subscriber.com from a UNIX box but I am not able to do so.

But the same thing works when i tried to send a text from my YAHOO a/c to
mobileno@subscriber.com .

Can any one tell why is that so......What is a sms server ...how to configure it

Before you get too confused here, just call your phone service provider and ask them if your phone can receive SMS from email. In the U.S. (and I'd imagine works in a similar fashion around the world), you'd usually send an e-mail to phonenumber@messaging.provider.com or phonenumber@paging.provider.com.

Hi Shivdatta,

For any communication company, they have a sms server that is used for the
purpose of sending SMS.

That is the server that we have an account on and sends information to
it, with the configuration already set by the SMS guys, the sms is sent
to the mobile of the respective numbers.

Thanks.
Saroja.