Search Device Status in GNU Linux

I have an old PC with mirrored disk arrays. One of the hot swapable disk drives is bad and needs to be replaced, I know this because the drives' light has turned amber.

This server has Linux installed. I am not familiar with Linux, but I need this servers because it is running Postfix and is a relay host for many of our production Solaris Machines.

Could anyone please guide me on how to see drive status through the command line and pinpoint which hard drive has failed .

#dmesg does not give me a clue and #iostat -en command does not work, or atleast I donot know how to use it.

thanks

The fact that the paths are showing up the way they are makes me think it is running on an HP server with onboard RAID controller. Do you have any tools to manage the server from the manufacturer?

Can you reboot the server and check the firmware for the RAID controller? This is a good example of why things should be documented in case a primary contact is unavailable, but it should be fixable.

Unfortunately, I have no documentation, but yes we can schedule an outage and check the firmware for the RAID configuration.
Thanks

If you have a spare drive, you can probably replace it during the downtime, assuming you are, in fact, using some sort of redundancy on that controller. Then, you can force a rebuild in the firmware.

1 Like