Search and replace

I have a file whose contents are something like:

ACTIVATION CODE=<number>

echo Activation Code: $ACTIVATIONCODE
java -cp $CPATH com.example.GenericApp.EDFGenericApp $ACTIVATIONCODE "$SCANDETAIL1NAME:$SCANDETAIL1VALUE"

I want to replace the "<number>" in the line "ACTIVATION CODE=<number>" using sed. The <number> changes with different files.

sed -re 's/^(ACTIVATION CODE=)[0-9]+$/\1the_new_number/' /path/to/the/file

Thanks
Can You explain the sysntax used.

Absolutely,

Basic:

s/^(ACTIVATION CODE=)[0-9]+$/\1the_new_number/
  <----- replace this -----> <- with this -->

Advanced match:

^(ACTIVATION CODE=)[0-9]+$
|\________________/\____/|
|         |          |   +-- End of the line
|         |          +-- One or more digits (the plus sign require the -r switch)
|         +-- Please remember the part between parenthesis (require the -r swith)
+-- Beginning of the line

Warning. Because we specify the begining and end of the line, their can't be anything else than what is mentioned here. I mean, the following line will NOT match the pattern for two reasons: space at the beginning and comment at the end.

ACTIVATION CODE=345   # Example

Advanced replace:

\1the_new_number
\/\____________/
 |       |
 |       +-- and write the new number
 +-- recall the part between parenthesis

Hope this helps.

if the entry is like:
ACTIVATION CODE=<qW87-hg45q>
i.e <the activation key> can contain alphanumeric characters and a "-" then what should the sed command be?

Kindly help

You mean there is an actual < and > to delimit the code?
And the key can contain lower case, upper case, digits and dashes.

s/^(ACTIVATION CODE=)<[[:alnum:]-]+>$/\1the_new_number/

No there is no < and > to delimit the code.

The line of concern is:
ACTIVATIONCODE=3c8de317-36b2

But the activation code(here 3c8de317-36b2) can be alphanumeric with a single "-"(hyphen) inserted anywhere inside.

---------- Post updated at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:46 AM ----------

A few examples of activation code:

1234-djfkldl
asdDF-45GHrf1
ANJ-56Hjkl
etc

So just remove the <> from my code. If you really want to specify there only one hyphen, then consider the following command:

sed -re 's/^(ACTIVATION CODE=)[[:alnum:]]+-[[:alnum:]]+$/\1the_new_number/' /path/to/the/file

Is the search and replace by sed permanent or that i need to redirect to another file

---------- Post updated at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:08 AM ----------

I have a variable called VAR which contains the new activation code. I want to replace the existing activation code with that of the variable VAR

The following command will permanently change the original file:

sed -ri 's/^(ACTIVATION CODE=)[[:alnum:]]+-[[:alnum:]]+$/\1'"$VAR/" /path/to/the/file

The following command will backup the original file (with extension .bak) and then permanently change it:

sed -ri.bak 's/^(ACTIVATION CODE=)[[:alnum:]]+-[[:alnum:]]+$/\1'"$VAR/" /path/to/the/file

The following command will not modify the original file but rather create a new modified file:

sed -r 's/^(ACTIVATION CODE=)[[:alnum:]]+-[[:alnum:]]+$/\1'"$VAR/" /path/to/the/file > /path/to/the/new/modified/file

---------- Post updated at 14:02 ---------- Previous update was at 12:32 ----------

Hi proactiveaditya,
Instead of creating new posts, it would be polite to at least tell if the given commands worked or not.
Regards
Santiago

Thanks Santiago
It worked

Another approach:

awk -F= -v var=$VAR '/^ACTIVATION CODE/{$2=var}1' file > newfile