Scripts for Informix

Hello,
I want to write a ksh script to connect to a remote Informix DB and insert rows. I understand from the various threads that isql is the most popular choice and that it can be done. I'm new to both scripting and Informix and have some questions -

1) Does isql have listener/ tnsnames files as Oracle has, that I need to configure? Or any other config files?

2) Are there some unixODBC configs to be done? The isql I have looks like its got to do something with unixODBC as I haven't installed isql on the system.
The syntax mentioned in the threads here for isql -
#isql -U$user -Ppwd -S$server
doesnt seem to work, the syntax is -
isql DSN [UID [PWD]] [options]
and when I use this syntax, I get --
[IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

3) What about dbaccess, can I get a download from somewhere and use it to connect to the infornix DB?

I know most of the ques are DB oriented, but its all in Unix env and I wanna write a ksh script, so I reckon its all within the boundaries :slight_smile:

Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated!

I will move this thread to the Applications forum where it may have a better chance at an answer. But I don't think that we have many Informix experts here.