Script to process winmail.dat files in apple mail from outlook senders

Does anyone know of a way to automate the "massaging" of those STUPID winmail.dat files that come to Apple Mail extensions as a result from people sending mail from outlook clients? Specifically, something that would run when you attempt to open a winmail.dat file and auto extract and open attachments (.doc, .xls, etc). I have a program that you have to drag the file into and it will extract the files out of the .dat and then you have to save them and open them. Its a major pain, I don't know why Apple hasn't remedied this yet. :wall:

I'm not sure why Apple is being called upon to fix a Microsoft induced mail format issue.
But coincidentally, I ran across this today:
When you use Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007 to send an email message, the recipient of the message sees an attachment that is called Winmail.dat

Thanks to the MacEnterprise mailing list, and Steve Howe specifically for pointing this up. :cool:

I think Apple should provide a solution because its the recipients that have the problem. Try explaining to outside companies (when your organization deals with MANY) (and who mostly use microsoft outlook) that they are sending their emails wrong when everyone but MAC users they send to has no problem. Even though Apple didn't create the problem, their ease of use policy suggests that they go the extra distance to be compatible with other products. Especially since we are talking about one of the top 2 most fundamental functions of computer networking. There should not be any problems with people sending or receiving emails in 2012 at all what-so-ever. We don't have to download a special program on windows computers to open mac emails... why should we have to do that just because we use a mac? It's a simple fix for such a large company. So.... fix it. All the same thanks for the link but i'm not emailing that to all our suppliers and working with their tech departments... really??