script to eliminate left and right fields and to get the ouput.

Hi Experts,
I have a file as given below and want to filter out the filenames in it , by deleting left and right filds and to have the fllenames (There are spaces in the filename),

Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/file2311_recent.list user1 user2 0 done
Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/file2312 jan recent.list user1 user2 0 done
Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/Output2313 feb recent.text user1 user2 0 done

I want to eliminate first 7 field from left side , and 4 fields from right side , and to get the output . Is there anything available with scripting , sed awk ?

Output should be:

/home/output/file2311_recent.list
/home/output/file2312 jan recent.list 
/home/output/Output2313 feb recent.text

Thanks in advance,

nawk '{gsub("^[^/]*", "");$(NF-3)=$(NF-2)=$(NF-1)=$NF="";gsub(" *$", "")}1' myFile

---------- Post updated at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:25 PM ----------

To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags

```text
 and 
```

by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

rev infile8|cut -d' ' -f5-|rev|cut -d' ' -f8-

:wink:

If all the file names contain a . with an extension then this would do too:

grep -o '/[^.]*\.[^ ]*' infile

Many Thanks for the answers:

Scrutinizer , the rev and grep code worked nicely, However couldnot understand the grep code properly, appreciate if you could explain the grep code a bit.

vgersh99,
The nawk code looks nice but I could not use it, as nwak not available in redhat linux.

if you have Python

# python -c "for line in open('file'): print ' '.join(line.split()[7:-4])"
/home/output/Output2313 feb recent.text

Sure, rveri

grep -o '/[^.]*\.[^ ]*' infile

means look for a match that consists of

/      the character / ,
[^.]*  followed by any number of characters that are not a dot 
\.     followed by a dot
[^ ]*  followed by any number of characters that are not a space

and then from man grep:

-o     Print  only  the  matched  (non-empty)  parts  of  a  matching line, 
       with each such part on a separate output line.

Actually it is good you asked because now I realize that \. is not necessary, so the expression becomes:

grep -o '/[^.]*[^ ]*' infile

although OP's sample doesn't have other fields (including if filenames contains dots as well) containing dots in them, its prudent to include checks for them as well if using the above grep command. otherwise, eliminating by column is a more flexible way to go

Hello ghostdog74, I am not sure what you mean:

$> echo 'Sun Jan 11 /a.b 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/file2311_recent.list.list user1.bla user2 0 done' |grep -o '/[^.]*[^ ]*'
/a.b
/home/output/file2311_recent.list.list

pls see below simulation

$ more file
Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/file2311_recent.list user1 user2 0 done
Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/file2312 jan recent.list firstname.lastname user2 0 done
Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/Output.2313 feb recent.text user1 user2 0 done
$ grep -o '/[^.]*[^ ]*' file
/home/output/Output.2313

first two is ok, last is not. because there is "." in file name. whereas going by fields, results should always be consistent

#  python -c "for line in open('file'): print ' '.join(line.split()[7:-4])"
/home/output/Output.2313 feb recent.text

All the codes are great, Many Thanks!,
Scrutinizer , thanks for explaining the regular expression, it is crystal clear .

Thanks Ghostdog74 for pointing out the extra dot in file name issue(.)
The idea with eliminating the left and right fields and keeping the desired one makes it perfect. sed is fine except the extra . , nawk couldnt check, rev & python worked very well, Tx. Rveri.

awk '{for(i=8;i<=NF-4;i++)
        printf $i" "
        printf "\n"
        }'