script running with "ksh" dumping core but not with "sh"

Hi,

I have small script written in korn shell. When it is called from different script, its dumping core, but no core dump when we run it standalone.

And its not dumping core if we run the script using "/bin/sh" instead of "ksh"

Can some body please help me how to resolve this issue.

strings -a core is not giving much information.

Thanxs in advance,
simhe02

For a start you should type # file core; to find the reason...

An old known problem could be a corrupted history file.
try deleting your .sh_history file in your home dir.

Another thing is start your script with set -x to do some debugging and maybe you can find out at what point this coredump starts.
Also look at the tombstones file or of course your /var/adm/messages/syslog/syslog.log file.

Hope this helps.
Ren�

Hi,

Thanx for the immediate reply.

I dont see any file line .sh_history. Are there any other possibilities?? Please note that If we run the same script standalone its working with out any core. This issue is coming only in HP-UX but not in other Unix machines.
Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanx in advance.
simhe02.

try the command "ls -la" to find the hidden files (starts with .)

Hi,

I tried with the same command. There is no such .sh_history file.

-simhe02

you are running "ls -la" from your login home ? Its normally available over there.

Hi,

Yes i have verified in home directory only.

Any other guess on the problem??

-simhe02

Hi,

Narrowed down the issue.
While starting some service korn shell script is called from another script for 4 to 5 times.
First 2 times, korn shell script is executed successfully and no core dump also.
But from third time, korn shell script needs to be called but its not getting executed. i mean control is not going into the korn shell script. From this time its dumping core also.
I am thinking may be address is corrupted.. or some thing.. not sure what exaclt causing the core dump.
Please suggest me some solution for the same.

Thanx in advance
simhe02

I had the same issue. Later on I found that it was due to the LD_PRELOAD definition which I tried to modify in .profile. The way out for me was to comment it & ksh was all good again.