Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code

TARFILE=${NAME}.tar
TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz
ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;
Today=`date +%Y%m%d`;
files=`ls *${Today}* | wc -l`
echo "FILES ${files}">>${LOGF}
if [ ${files} = 0 ];then
        echo "We have no monthly file ${Today}. ${NAME}.sh is exiting"
        exit 0
else
        find . -ctime -1 | tar -cvf transfer_dmz_start_monthly.tar *${Today *.*;
        if [ $? != 0 ]
        then
                echo "Cannot create a tar file, the terminated abnormally"
                exit 1
        fi
        gzip transfer_dmz_start_monthly.tar
fi'
 if [ $? != 0 ]
then
        echo "Something is wrong with connection to ${DESTSERVNAME} or ${MONTH_DEST_DIR}. Please check the connecttion to ${DESTSERVNAME} or files on ${MONTH
_DEST_DIR}. If there is only *tar file, delete it.">>${LOGF}
         echo "!!!!! Alert!!!! Please check ${LOGF} and act accordingly. Please contact xxxx@xxxx.db.com. ${NAME}.sh terminated abnormaly" | mailx -r xxxx.xxxxxxxx@db.com -s "Script ${NAME}.sh failed" xxxx.xxxxxxxx@db.com
        exit 1
fi
 echo "${TARGZFILE} file was created successfuly ,starting to scp from ${DESTSERVNAME},then unzip and untar ${TARGZFILE}" >> $LOGF
echo >>${LOGF}
echo >>${LOGF}
 #scp zipped file to DTE server
/usr/bin/scp ${DESTSERVNAME}:${MONTH_DEST_DIR}/${TARGZFILE} ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly
 if [ $? != 0 ]
then
        echo "Cannot scp ${TARGZFILE} file from ${DESTSERVNAME}. Please check if all files are on ${MONTH_DEST_DIR}/monthly.">>${LOGF}
        echo "!!!!!!Alert!!!!!Please check ${LOGF} and act accordingly.Please contact xxxxx@xxxx.db.com.  ${NAME}i.sh terminated abnormaly" | mailx -r xxxx.xxxxxxxx@db.com -s "Script ${NAME}.sh failed" xxxx.xxxxxxxx@db.com
        exit 1
fi

The problem is that exit (which I put in read bold) exit only from remote server and continue run program, until scp tar file. It fails because we don't create it.
Could you please advice me to make a logic to exit from the script, if there are no files on remote server?

Thanks for contribution

---------- Post updated at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:25 AM ----------

I found solution.

Thanks

What was it?

I have a problem with a few bits in the script, such as:-

• the line that ends *${Today *.*;
  • the line that is fi'

.... and that's after a very quick glance.

What was the problem? Could you share to help others who may find this thread?

Kind regards,
Robin

The line that ends in fi' is actually okay, I think, since it actually is the end of a really long ssh '........' text block