Screen Resolution on External Monitor from RHEL 6.3

Hey everyone,

I have a KVM or External monitor (19" Dell) that I am trying to hook up to a laptop running RHEL 6.3 (via VGA which is the only option). When I connect it, and go to System->Preferences->Display, the max resolution option it provides me for these external devices is 1280x1024. Now, the KVM should provide a maximum resolution capability of 1600x1200, and the Dell monitor should have a capability of 1920x1080. Neither of those come up. How do I get this to work? I was reading online that Red Hat OS needs to be configured for the graphics card on the laptop in order to provide higher resolutions. I would hope it's simpler to this. Any hints or tips?

You are limited by the available resolutions on your laptop. No way around that.

The screen resolution of the laptop is 1600x900. It should at least get close to that. I was able to figure out yesterday that for RHEL6.3, the xorg.conf file is no longer there (this was a way to manually set resolutions for internal and external screens). So I had to find an alternative and found all this information on xrandr, which i was able to manipulate in order to add the resolutions that I wanted. But I feel that if xorg is more automated, Red Hat should provide some sort of way to fix this issue. Any thoughts?