SCO 6.0 Freeze

Hi Gurus

I have installed SCO 6.0 open server on Dell R710 server.

It has frozen three times afte installtion. and I had to cold reboot to bring the server back again.

I need to know where to look for the reason it froze.

The keyboard on the server the asterisk key is pressed, even though there is no keyboard attached to the server. We access the sysem thru dell idrac (remote console)

Please guide to where to look for.

First. Install a keyboard, mouse and monitor.
When the system 'freezes' what indications do you have that this has occurred?

It is a Dell R710 server with Idrac feature, has a seperate NIC for the idrac access to the system console. and we have attached the keyboard and mouse to IBM RCM.

The last time system froze, the console was blank both via dell idrac as well as IBM RCM.

I viewed the /usr/adm/ syslog, rc2.log and messages and did not find any clue that can lead me to what caused the freezing.

where else should I look.

Thanks for all your help.

Does the CMOS record any over temperature conditions?

---------- Post updated at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:24 AM ----------

This may help What information should be gathered to help diagnose a system experiencing panics and/or hangs?

I check the temperature conditions and there are no signs of over heat.

The system was frozen today again,

Please advise where to look for. When I ty to analyze the crash dump I get the message

crash: wrong magic number in dumpfile

I have had similar problems with HP servers, the fix for them was to update the firmware of all of the system components. e.g. the motherboard, drive controller card, nic, etc...

You might need the OSS711a patch from SCO. It fixes a problem with kernel panics and system hangs. It is available on their website.

1 Like

Hi cclonan

are you referring to OSS714A. I have MP4 installed (OSS711).

in the boot file /stand/boot our consultant has added ENABLE_4GB_MEM=YES

and so far the system has not frozzen.

---------- Post updated at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:52 AM ----------

Hi cclonan

are you refereing to OSS714A. I have MP4 installed (OSS711).

in the boot file /stand/boot our consultant has added ENABLE_4GB_MEM=YES

and so far the system has not frozzen.

Hi atish0

Not unless you are having trouble with usb devices.

OSS711a fixes a failure to check a reference count when releasing an Internet protocol control block (PCB) resulted in a kernel panic or system hang.

The system froze again, but this time after quite a copule of weeks, this time the office was closed for the holidays and no one logged in or using the system.

and further more I cant find any clue / logs for this freezing.

When you say the system froze again, is it a kernel panic? When you reboot does the system ask you if you want to save a dump file? Or, is the system non responsive and the only way to get it to respond again is a hard reboot?

The system becomes non responsive nor from the console or any terminal or a telnet session. and when we reboot, it doesnt ask to save the dump file. and the only way is to do a hard reboot.

Thanks for looking at the problem.

It turned out to be APC Powerchute software. If you are using the old powerchute software stop it, uninstall it and only use the software that comes with SCO 6 (mkdev apc). The core problem is with the serial ports, there is something in the serial ports that can cause software that worked great with sco 5.07 to cause SCO 6 to freeze. They changed the way that the serial ports work. So if you are not using APC powerchute software, check any software that uses serial ports.