SCO 5.0.7 Tape Drive swap

Our tape drive died and I installed a newer Quantum DAT72 drive in it's place with the same SCSI ID. It still works, but with one major flaw, the system will lock up if I try to upgrade BackupEDGE or view NFS settings in scoadmin.

I get a Transition to ready failure on ha=0* message when the system locks up.

This ID is the tape drive. I just wanted to know if I did something wrong installing the new tape drive.

Is the SCSI Bus terminated properly.

Yes, the tape drive was plugged into the same spot as the old one and given the same ID. The physical setup was done correctly.

It has been a while and several generations of OS ago but while I was dealing heavily with tape units I found that, unless it was an exact duplicate, the only way to avoid little glitches was to deinstall the original and after reboot install the new one.

You know what you got me on the right track. There are 2 tape drives on this system. One is an old Tanburg that uses really big tapes that was only used to install a backup from the old server years ago. I removed it from the system only (not physically) and voila! The system no longer locks up.