SCO 5.0.7 driver for HP SmartArray P410i Controller on Proliant DL380 G7?

Hi

I hope this is the right forum.

I am attempting to install SCO 5.0.7 on a Proliant DL380 G7 with a Smart Array P410I Controller.
I need a driver for this. Can anybody point me to a download?
Thanks in anticipation.

Hmmmm........sounds a bit tricky. I'm not giving any guarantees but I would start here:

Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

This packages has been enhanced and enhanced and used to support HP 410i Smartarray beefore more recent ones were added. Also AFAIR, all HP Smartarrays can be driven with the hpsa driver set. However, this package allows you to create media for btld (boot-time load driver) which is what you are going to need. If this package doesn't work for you try searching for hpsa driver.

If I think of anything more I'll post again. Good luck with it.

PS. Also you have a G7 there and this mentions up to G4.

PPS. Also take a peek at this guy who is playing with a G6..............
在HP Proliant DL380 G6上安�...SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 | hadenchen

PPPs. Since you are talking about a G7 here are you sure the RAID controller is a P410i? Is this on-board or add-in?

1 Like

Go to the sco site xinuos.com and check the certified hardware list.

According to the hardware list, only the P400 controller is supported, and i am pretty sure that the P410 was never supported.

1 Like

hicksd8, jgt.

Many thanks for the replies.

I'll try the hpsa BTLD and return with the outcome. Incidentally I see there is also an hpsas. Any idea what the difference is?

--- Post updated at 02:49 PM ---

Ok, I give up.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the BTLD downloads for either hpsa ore hpsas?

I see that someone mentions that it is part of an EFS 5.770a tar file. Problem is that I don't have a Unix server to process a tar file until I build this server. Catch-22. A simple BTLD image file would be great.

I used a Linux system to download and extract the EFS package from HP.
The following is an extract from the README

Then you have a new problem: how to create a diskette. I do not know if a BTLD can be on a CDrom.

PS. Is it possible to create a USB stick to imitate a USB floppy?

2 Likes

This is where a USB floppy drive comes in really handy both to write the BTLD floppies on the Linux box and read them (as BTLD driver(s)) on installation.

Perhaps try to acquire, beg, borrow or steal one of those.

1 Like

Hmmm, well, yes - quite some time ago I managed to make a USB stick look like a bootable 180 kB floppy to my PC, composing floppy boot sector structures (BIOS parameter block, NO MBR!), FREEDOS boot files, and a rescue program into a very small partition. Booting it was a two step process: set the BIOS to recognize the stick as a floppy, and then booting the stick.
Interested in the details?

1 Like

@RudiC........In this case, SCO is installed by booting from DVD/CD but then reading boot-time disk drivers from a floppy during the process. So it isn't the case that we need the floppy USB stick bootable. Just a USB stick to be recognised as a pseudo floppy during the installation after booting from DVD/CD. Incidentally, generally if I need to create a bootable floppy (I'm really lazy!!!) I use a free downloadable Windows based package called Rufus and it does all the work. It will convert an ISO into a bootable USB stick. Well worth checking it out.

1 Like

I thought I had posted this about an hour ago, but...
Copy and run Floppy Boot Disks from USB - gHacks Tech News

2 Likes

@jgt........They look like two really useful pieces of software. I will be checking them out. Thanks. Like the archaeologist said, "I didn't find it because I wasn't looking for it", however, now I've found it, it'll be in my toolkit.

1 Like

JGT, hicksd8, RudiC, many thanks. I've managed to get a usb floppy regognised by the system already (attach with a floppy disc in the drive at boot time) and to download the wd v 3 BTLD for the CD ROM so that's not a problem.

JGT could you post a link to the HP EFS package? I've located a friend with a linux box that could do the trick.

Again, many thanks.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX\_UNITY_I24724

Although, i am unable to connect to it right now, might be down for maintenance. I have attached the file to this post

1 Like

Hi Everyone. First of all many thanks for your contributions in trying to resolve my problem.

Second, it would appear that there's no resolution. There doesn't appear to be a SCO driver for the the P410i in the G7. I tried hpsas (thanks jgt) without success.

Some points for anyone else trying to load SCO on a server without a floppy drive but with a SATA CD ROM.

1) The USB floppy must be attached to the server with a disc loaded when the server is booted or the floppy disc won't be read properly.

2) Similarly the usb CD ROM must be attached at boot time. Swap the CD from the SATA drive to the usb drive after boot but before the installation starts.

2a) Alternatively load BTLD wd (version 3) during the process. The SATA drive will then be recognised and installation will proceed from it if you select IDE CD ROM.

Thanks again, everyone.

1 Like