SCO 5.0.6 Media needed

Hi,

can anyone provide me the sources for sco 5.0.6 as iso?
Thanks!

Do you definitely need 5.0.6? I think you can download 5.0.7 from the web no problem.

I have a copy of the 5.0.6 CD. You on Skype?

Yes, 5.0.6 because we want to migrate to VM and keep the 5.0.6 licenses.
Would you put it on my FTP?

Yes, of course, details?

You might want to send me a private message.

Sent you a pm

Any way I can get a copy of the 5.0.6. media. Same situation and need to do an install. thxs

Yes, I can help but not until later this week. I am off-base and have no access to my archive.

How could I send you the iso? ftp?

Sent you a pm - thanks

Hi,

I also need the 5.0.6 iso, can someone help? Want to virtualize and keep our licenses.

Thanks in advance

@sopela123.......yep, can do. Any idea how?

well, situation is as follows:

Hi

we are a very small company in spain, we have a very old (about 20 years) compaq server that has sco 5.0.6 installed and that runs some cobol microfocus homemade applications.

that computer will very likely fail (i am still amazed it has not failed already) and we would like to virtualize it.

We have a windows server 2008 r2 and have thought of using hyper-v to do it.

but we have no money to spend in this project, we paid big money for the licenses of the sco server and for the windows 2008 and I can not afford to spend more money on this.

We don't have any of the installation disks or any hardcopy of the licenses of the sco system, plus that system was installed by a collegue that regretfully passed away a few years ago, I hace some advanced knowledge on microsoft systems but very basic on unix.

I would like to virtualize the sco system as it is now, is that possible?
Any help greatly welcome and tapas on me on your next visit to Spain.

Thanks in advance.

@sopela123.....

What I meant was do you have a destination that I can upload the iso image to? If not, there may be others on this thread that can allow you to download it from their server. How can I get the image to you?

In response to the questions in your last post, I have excellent but ancient knowledge of SCO but I have never virtualised it. I'm not sure that you can virtualise without having the original licence keys. Again, perhaps someone on this thread who has done it can answer. Alternatively, instead of just asking for the media why not start a brand new thread on this forum asking how to do it.

Also, have you considered swapping SCO for a free Linux distribution?

oh, sure, sorry...

pls try to ftp to (deleted)

user: deleted
password: deleted

thanks a lot

There are alternatives.

1. Use Linux and Opencobol OpenCOBOL | Free Development software downloads at SourceForge.net
  2. Install Opencobol on your Windows Server, and migrate your programs and data.
    Migration means writing a program to unload each Microfocus file to plain text and an Opencobol program to read the plain text and create ISAM files, and modifying the syntax of your existing code to suit.
    Do you have anyone that can write cobol?
    How many lines of cobol code is there?

Well, there is on person (already retired) that wrote the programs in microfocus.
I could ask him to do something but it would have to be very easy and fast to do.

We have hundreds (literally) of programs with hundreds each lines of code.

Thanks

It took me about a week to convert a payroll application consisting of about 60 programs and 65000 lines of code from Microfocus 4.1 to Opencobol 1.1

@sopela123.........

FTP upload of iso image done!!!

1. You may need to rename it due to accidental double (iso.ISO) filename extension.
  2. you might like to edit your previous post to remove ftp credentials if you don't want to leave them in the public domain.
  3. You might like to backup the file immediately.

Hope that helps.

This may help for the serial number and activation key.

Also if the Compaq Smartstart was used for the initial installation, the "installation interview" is stored in the root file system.

1 Like

I understand if this needs to be in a different thread, but when I got started I wish this would have been easy to find. I am also sure there are betters ways of doing this, but here has been my experience:

First thanks to hicksd8 for the iso. - My boys are still impressed

A great resource to start - http://www.anandhacorp.co.uk/itresources/OSR506onESX.pdf also attached

What I found is there are a few RAID cards that have been used for SCO machines that are obviously older and the newer ESXi versions do not support that hardware. For me to get it to work I had to use an older version of ESX but then I was unable to use USB drives - it will get you one way or another.

Because of these issues I was unable to successful do an image restore. You might be able to do a better job than me with this.

What I decided to do was a new install and then copy over the necessary data. I also had to install certain patches. Some of the time ftp.sco.com was down and that created issues so get them while you can and move to your own ftp.

Below is some of the steps I took:

Install SCO 5.0.6 - at one point it looks for something but is unable to find it, I change the cd to the 5.0.7 image where it finds it and then I switch back. Sorry I do not remember what it was but it will be obvious because you can not move forward.

After install finishes then I run the following commands.

netconfig
(Add net card)

vi /etc/default/tcp
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
vi /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.25

# reboot now

cd /tmp

mkdir ssh
cd /ssh

mkdir openssh
cd /openssh

ftp ftp.sco.com
anonymous
<your@email.com>

get ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/opensrc/openssh-4.2p1/openssh42p1_vol.tar
exit

tar xvf openssh42p1_vol.tar
cd ..

mkdir rs506a
cd rs506a

ftp ftp.sco.com
anonymous
<your@email.com>

get ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/rs506a/rs506a.tar
exit

tar xvf rs506a.tar
cd ..

mkdir oss646c
cd oss646

ftp ftp.sco.com
anonymous
<your@email.com>

mget ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/oss646c/*
exit

cd ..

mkdir gwxlibs
cd gwxlibs 

ftp ftp.sco.com
anonymous
<your@email.com>

get ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/opensrc/gwxlibs-2.1.0Ba/gwxlibs210Ba_vol.tar
exit

tar xvf gwxlibs210Ba_vol.tar
cd ..

Login to Software admin > "Media Device"
install /tmp/ssh/rs506a
install /tmp/ssh/oss646c
install /tmp/ssh/gwxlibs
install /tmp/ssh/openssh42p1

this is at least what I have typed out

Hello there!!

Thank you so much for the iso, I have downloaded it and already installed, I have the VM running!

Also thanks for the instructions on installing the updates, as I said I have very basic unix knowledge, I couldnt have done it without your help.

I installed the vm using the 5.0.7 boot floppy and the 5.0.6 cd.
That tutorial said it had to be done using a virtual hd of 2gb and later on add a larger second hd.

Here is where I have a new problem. In the vm properties I add the second hd and has id (0:1) 0:0 is the first one.

I use mkdev hd as instructed but it ends with an error.
What commands should I use to add this disk? Can I just resize the one I have in the vm to 32 gb and end of story? I think i'll try that later.

I have used df command to check the size of the disk but I dont really understand the results... It talks about blocks... Are those bytes? Any other commands to check disks?

Again, I really appreciate your help with this project.

Cheers