Sat. 27 June 2020: Movement of www.unix.com to new server

FYI.

On Saturday, 27 June, 2020 I plan to move the legacy (reference) site www.unix.com to a different server.

The new location is currently running fine and tested.

The new app is in a Docker container I created which supports end-of-life (EOL) PHP 5.6; and so the legacy forum app and man pages will continue to run; but it will be a little slower because the temporary staging site I'm moving it to has only 32 GB RAM and an older 8 Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 3365 processor, versus the current site of 64 GB RAM and 8 core Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz. Plus, all apps in Docker containers are slower than on "bare metal".

Original Site H/W:
8 Core Intel i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz with 64GB RAM, SSD drives.

Temporary Staging H/W:
8 Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 3365 with 32 GB RAM, SSD drives.

The reason for this temporary move is as follows:

1. Cost. This server is too expensive for standalone serving only the legacy unix forum app.
  2. Staging: Moving to an existing server in my inventory, temporarily.
  3. Reliability. Later will move to new H/W with new SSD drives and a newer CPU.
  4. Consolidation: Consolidate other apps on the new hardware (less servers to manage).
  5. Tech Refresh: Will more-than-likely move to new H/W running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (but not this month).

I think this H/W move will take less than 5 minutes on Saturday, as the legacy app has been tested on the temporary staging hardware:

1. Change DNS IP address to new server.
  2. Cut over to new Apache2 reverse proxy.
  3. Update SSL certificate for www.unix.com.

Planned Cutover Time Start: Saturday, 27 June 2020, 8:00 AM GMT.

Reference:

• https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Note:

• Had been planning to dockerize the legacy forum app and man pages for some time since the old forum app runs on legacy EOL PHP 5.6, and so it's basically done. It's containerized, kinda like putting the legacy app in moth balls so we can run the legacy app in the Docker image on any hardware in the future even as PHP 5.6 fades into the past, year-by-year.
4 Likes

Having some issues with this cutover:

1. Some debug log files are not logging properly in the docker container.
  2. The admincp for the legacy vB app has an unresolved issue (cannot access) when I attempt to cutover. Might be cookie related.
1 Like

OK.

The cutover to the dockerized legacy site for www.unix.com is live and working OK.

Now testing live.

1 Like

Not very happy with the speed in docker container:

Before Dockerized

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.29.59 PM

After Dockerized

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.28.19 PM

It's consistently almost two seconds slower loading PHP pages in docker verses no docker.

Reverting back to original server (and no docker container) for now.

See Also: