Samba

Hello all,
We setup samba running on network for Unix and NT environment. For some reasons certain users and machine can mapped to their home directory from PC to Unix, some can't. any help or ideas will be appreciated.

What is your SAMBA configuration ? Could you post your smb.conf?
Are every users having a using account ? Samba is mapping UNIX home directory.

those laptops and users having problems today with drives mapped to Unix was working just fine yesterday. So I didn't think anything under smb.conf. and yes every users having account access to Unix.

Thanks,

I don't understand. It was working with this configuration before and not today ?:confused:

yes, that's what I can't firgure out. either NT Domain mess up or something with Protocol (Netbios). I even restart Samba Daemon on unix. it does a samething.

Verify in your WINS server if the entry for your SAMBA server is correct. Verify also if you can join without problems your WINS server from your SAMBA server. Do you have this problem for all users or only some ? If they get their network configuration by DHCP, maybe there is a pb on it.

only certains laptops, I use my id logon to different machine and they the are worked, certain don't, yes, we are using DHCP on our networks.

Thanks so much, Annececile

If you are using WINS, do in DOS mode, nbtstat -R and nbtstat -RR to purge the netbios records on the laptop which have the problem. If you are using lmhosts, verify the entries inside.

Good luck.

annececile,
After I did nbtstat -R and nbtstat -RR. now none of our laptops can go in. any ideas!

Do you verify WINS configuration on your laptop ? Is your server register in the WINS database ?
You can try to add your server in the lmhosts file. After adding, you need to reboot. Could you map the drive manually after log on or not ?

done everything, still can not map manually to the shared on UNIX.

Are other users can map it ? From NT Workstation for example if you have. Do you have check the nmbd and smbd log on your server ? It can be also NIS problem. Do you join NIS from your server ?
If you've got errors in your logs, post them, I'll can try to help you to analyse.
Good luck.

i would say start with the passwords. How are they being handled.

1) they authenticate to unix with a unix password?
2) they authenticate to unix and it gets handed off to a PDC/BDC (nt machine)

alot of times when users log in there account gets locked for incorrect password so they can not get the mappings for samba shares.

guys,
thanks for the help and ideas. I got it working now by using smbpasswd -a userid to add users to samba paswd.

thanks sooooo much....