Samba Slow ?

Ok, i got samba up and running and can see the directories i want to be able to see on my network, but it is really slow. From a windows to windows transfer or file open it is just a little under a 100 mb connection. However it takes minutes just to open a file on the linux box.I have attached my conf file, but i do no think in it lies the answer...Please help Op RH 7.1

[global]
interfaces = 192.168.1.2
security = SHARE
null passwords = Yes
unix password sync = Yes
load printers = No
lm announce = True
domain master = Yes
unix realname = Yes
#ssl CA certDir=/usr/share/ssl/certs
ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
hosts allow = 192.198.1.2 192.168.1.3
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
dns proxy = no -

How about other network application protocols between the two platforms such as FTP and telnet ? How is the connection speed for these applications?

No problems with telnet or ftp proto's. Good idea I had not tried that. I looked around and it is a common problem with most of the linux systems. I went to the samba documentation and they explain the problem but dont give any answers.

Here is our working samba conf file /etc/smb.conf

This configuration works fine (very fast).... is only one master controller (samba server) with a bunch of clients on the SAME subnet (ethernet segment). I would suggest you try something like this (without SSL) first to see if this is fast for you.

That worked...I just need to figure out what is wrong with mine now.

Thanks

My first guest would be a problem with the way SSL is working within Samba.

I'm reviving this ancient thread because I couldn't easily find an answer to this problem myself, so I hope this answer will help some people out.

I fixed the very slow loading of folders by adding this line:

name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts

If you look in the Samba HOWTO Collection, you'll see that the default order is host, lmhost, wins, bcast. I think the crucial thing is to have wins first. Try for yourself, hope it helps, cheers.