Samba Over WAN

Hi, I recently setup Samba on my home network. It's working fine there and I can use all the shares normally.
What I would like to do now is be able to use those shares on my PC at work, or actually on any computer connected to the Internet.
My OS is SuSE 7.3 and I think I'm running Samba 2.0. I've opened ports 137-139 on my router.
I can ping the server, telnet to it, FTP to it and a number of other things, but I can't connect to a Samba share.
Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Samba does not work well over a WAN and has lots of security issues. For moving across files WANS, suggest you consider SSH. That is what we do. In fact, we used to use SAMBA locally, but often just find SSH is just as easy (locally). Certainly, SSH is preferrable across a WAN.

Neo, how do you get it to work over the Internet at all?
I've used SSH for telnet and ftp, but can it be used similarily to Samba for sharing a mount? I need to be able to mount one of my Unix mounts to a Windows drive across the Internet.
Thanks

No, you can't mount with SSH, but you can move files back and forth... SAMBA does not work well across a WAN and has major security problems. I do not recommend using SAMBA across a WAN. Might be OK if you had a VPN tunnel and other crypto wrappers... but there are other problems.

Click HERE if you want to learn more about Samba and WAN.....