Samba installation

HI.

I am still having problems installing samba. i found a site where there is a package for auto install. i click on the link and it start to data stream, what going on, i thought it suppose to install it to /usr/local/ . Here is the link i download or try to download the package..http://www.filibeto.org/sun/solaris_8.htm
Is this the wrong package please advise. thank you in advance.

It's a bit an old version of samba 2.0.7. The latest version is 2.2.2 and you cuold get it from www.samba.org as source code/tarball or from sunfreeware as precompiled version for intel/sparc solaris 2.5/7-8 systems.

just uncompress this file and add it by
pkgadd -d samba-file

I think it's better when you'll install a precompiled version of samba for soalris/intel 8.
The file calls

samba-2.2.2-sol8-intel-local.gz.

You can get it from every solaris resouce site, because this is the "official" desciption for it.

( www.sunfreeware.com )

unpack it

gunzip -d samba-2.2.2-sol8-intel-local.gz

install it

pkgadd -d samba-2.2.2-sol8-intel-local

( samba 222 is finally insatleld in usr/local/samba. That's it )

Now you can configure your samba server.

just the link

ftp://sunfreeware.risq.qc.ca/intel/8/samba-2.2.2-sol8-intel-local.gz

Hey yall
Thank yall so much for helping meeh out, it took me couple of days to figure out how to install this program. Without you.. "unix guru" help i would've taken me probably a month tring to figure this out. Thanks for all yall help, it going to take me yearS to become a guru like you guys, but guess what i see you guys on the top, and i just really want to thank MR saint, you been a great help i really appreciate it..Thanks man..