Samba Help

All;

I've done this before, but sure I'm typing in the wrong search terms, so not finding the help I need.

What I have to do: Set up Samba, smb.conf, smbclient, fstab and all other settings so I see both the Windows and Linux servers and their shares in the network, via Samba.

It's been a good five years since I've done this last, so had many brain-farts since then and not finding what I need, so if you know the right HOWTOs, please pass them along, so I get this right!

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK

---------- Post updated at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:49 PM ----------

PS,

Must come up on boot (think that where fstab uses smbclient mounts, I think),

I'm setting this up on Aspire 7739 Laptop running Kubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Must share, via smb.conf, my shares on the network as well.

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK

Samba is no longer needed for as many things as it used to be. It's still the go-to to serve shares, but native client support has popped up in many operating systems. In Linux you can do

mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWD //192.168.1.88/shares /mnt/share

...and bam, you're a CIFS client, no Samba required.

What specific application were you using to browse shares and in what way did it not work? Knowing that would help me figure out what it's trying to do and why it's not working.

We need more details on what your shares are.

1 Like

Corona688,

I need the SAMBA as i explained it must come up on bootup, and therefore has to be in the fstab to auto load with all required passwords. Additionally this process has to be repeated on other machines to have fully functional network, sharing with the Linux and Windows servers.

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK

PS

If it's not SAMBA, then the Windows computers on the network will not see any of the shares.

OMR/TBNK

To repeat:

Samba serves shares. I don't know what purpose putting it in fstab would serve.

Your question remains too large and vague to effectively answer. "how do I do everything" is not a good question. Try a little on your own and narrow it down.

Corona688,

Ok, more research and I see they replaced samba with cifs, but it seems totally confusing to me, and all the mount cmds, I've tried have some syntax errors, so it's always showing the man help page, everytime I issue a cmd for it.

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK

Corona688,

Tried your command, doesn't work! Checked and CIFS is installed. Has a syntax error.

Not sure what to do next.

Cheers!

TBNK

Maybe you'll want to fix the syntax error in your CIFS installation???

Don Cragun,

What? Please explain!

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK

How can I explain?

You say you have syntax errors in your Samba configuration. You don't show us your Samba configuration files and you don't tell us what syntax errors you're getting. Therefore, all I can suggest is that you fix your syntax errors and try again.

If you would show us the exact errors that you are seeing and you would show us the files that are generating those errors, we might be able to help you further. Without seeing the actual errors you are receiving and the code/data that is producing those errors, there is absolutely no way that we can guess at what might be wrong!

Don Cragun,

No just issuing the command via cmd line/terminal and does not go! Cmd I'm using is:

mount -t cifs -o username=$user,password=$pwd //server/shares /media/myshare

According to the "man cifs" help pages this is correct syntax, but not working! Shows errors:

password specified twice, ignoring second
mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The specified "password" twice is because the password to this share is actually 'password'

Cheers!

OMR/TBNKI

What be the contents of $user and $password ?

R,

$user=tech
$pwd-password

Cheers!

TBNK

I appreciate that I'm coming to this thread very late (and I'm no expert in Windows) but I think you'd better tell us all what version of Windows you have. Different Windows versions have different cifs versions (e.g. 1, 2.x, or 3). You have said the Linux is Kubuntu and I don't know what version of cifs that has. However, my point is that if the cifs versions are mis-matched, then they won't talk to each other. You might be able to fix that by specifying a 'vers=' parameter on your command line.

Anybody know how to quiz a Kubuntu box for its cifs version?

hicksd8,

In my original post I did explain I'm on Kubuntu 16.04 trying to reach our Windows 10 shop server for file sharing of quotes, etc.

Cheers!

Nyle

Hmmmm......Without any further suggestions I'd be inclined to try a brute force approach and add:

-o vers=1.0

-o vers=2.0

-o vers=3.0

to the mount command line and just see if any of them work.

It's possible that Windows 10 is running cifs version 3.0 and that Kubuntu doesn't support version 3. However, I do know that there is a way to switch off Windows cifs 3 and revert to cifs 2. I'll need to search for that.

I don't think that's the reason for the message. Try to mount WITHOUT authentication data; it should prompt you, then. I don't have a - huaaa - windows machine around, so I can't test. And, switch the xtrace ( -x ) option on and post the log.

If I knew what the error was I wouldn't be asking here!

Hold it! No reason to become snappisch.

In a constructive way, you would READ (and quote) Don Cragun's entire post:

We do even less. So - the ball is in your court!

1 Like

All,

Ok shortened the cmd to:

mount -t cifs  //server /media/winsvr

It prompts for password. When entered gives error:

Looked up the error online and then ran:

tail -f  /var/log/kern.log

Which is showing:

This is cryptic and means nothing at all to me!

Cheers!

TBNK

Did you try with the numerical IP address in lieu of the server name (as proposed by Corona688)?

Try to add the sec=ntlm option.

Post the output of

dpkg -l | grep -i "cifs\|smb"