Runtime Linker Problems ld.so.1

Hello all,

I am releatively new to Solaris and I am the System administrator for my branch at the FAA. This is the first time I can say I have really messed something up thankfully. My issue came up after installing and uninstalling Oracle Secure Backup which i felt I needed to do a clean reinstall due to inability to find scsi devices. After doing so I realized that I could no longer run the ./installob script it would throw the following error...and I have no knowledge or understandinf of the runtime linker and ELF classes...etc...

# ./installob

Welcome to installob, Oracle Secure Backup's installation program.

For most questions, a default answer appears enclosed in square brackets.
Press Enter to select this answer.

Please wait a few seconds while I learn about this machine...ld.so.1: hostinfo: fatal: libresolv.so.2: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed
ld.so.1: hostinfo: fatal: libresolv.so.2: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed
ERROR: can't determine machine information for this host: can't determine proper hostname
my_base_arch: Undefined variable
#

after messing around with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable I realized I messed something else up I can no longer run "ldd" command it says the following

# ldd
ld.so.1: ldd: fatal: /usr/bin/sparcv9/../../lib/libelf.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
Killed
#

Now regardless what i run, if it has to do with the ld.so.1 runtime linker then it throws a similar error every time. There are even a couple services I cannot get to start like efdaemon, sma, webconsole and oplhpd.
I realize this may be considered a remedial question for this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Jerry

You forgot to mention your architecture (sparc/X86- 32/64...), OS version
Sure it has to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH... (32/64 bit mismatch?)

Didn't you save the stuff you have changed? No? MAJOR FAIL!
Why not simply restore the entire system? No backup? MAJOR FAIL!

If I were you I'd consult the appropriate Oracle Secure Backup Installation Guide, read the fourth chapter "Installing Oracle Secure Backup on Linux or
UNIX" and ensure your system meets all requirements!

However I that's an operating system problem thus your system is not ready for the installation of the.
Undo the changes if you can, if you can't, don't forget to make proper backups in the future! :slight_smile:

Those were my thoughs reading this issue..

No offense meant! :b:

The only thing I changed was installing and uninstalling Oracle Secure Backup. I have a snapshot of my ZFS raid however that will not help me with the issue at hand. Also due to this problem I am no longer able to get webconsole running it is stuck in maintenenance as is a few other services. I did read the Documentation for Oracle Secure Backup, I simply didnt feel there would be a problem from uninstalling it. Truthfully I can't even really narrow it down to that being the cause.

---------- Post updated at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:50 PM ----------

Here is the info...
If there is anything else needed I wil promptly get it posted.

# isainfo -kv
64-bit sparcv9 kernel modules

# uname -a
SunOS Einstein 5.10 Generic_147440-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise

Maybe fixing webconsole will get us closer to fixing the main problem. Post output of

tail -20 /var/svc/log/system-webconsole:console.log

Here is the output...

# tail -20 /var/svc/log/system-webconsole:console.log
[ Feb 10 08:47:34 Executing stop method ("/lib/svc/method/svc-webconsole stop") ]
The console is stopped.
[ Feb 10 08:47:36 Method "stop" exited with status 0 ]
[ Feb 10 08:47:36 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/svc-webconsole start") ]
Starting Oracle Java(TM) Web Console Version 3.1 ...
Cannot determine if console started successfully
[ Feb 10 08:48:26 Method "start" exited with status 0 ]
[ Feb 10 08:48:26 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
[ Feb 10 08:48:26 Executing stop method ("/lib/svc/method/svc-webconsole stop") ]
The console is stopped.
[ Feb 10 08:48:28 Method "stop" exited with status 0 ]
[ Feb 10 08:48:28 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/svc-webconsole start") ]
Starting Oracle Java(TM) Web Console Version 3.1 ...
Cannot determine if console started successfully
[ Feb 10 08:49:17 Method "start" exited with status 0 ]
[ Feb 10 08:49:17 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
[ Feb 10 08:49:17 Executing stop method ("/lib/svc/method/svc-webconsole stop") ]
The console is stopped.
[ Feb 10 08:49:19 Method "stop" exited with status 0 ]
[ Feb 10 08:49:19 Restarting too quickly, changing state to maintenance ]
#

You should increase start timeout:

svccfg -s webconsole:console setprop start/timeout_seconds=600

Then

svcadm refresh webconsole:console
svcadm clear webconsole:console

After increasing the start timeout.....this is what is happeneing with webconsole

# svcs | grep webconsole
offline* 13:20:43 svc:/system/webconsole:console

The asterisk clearly shows something isnt quite right.

---------- Post updated at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:25 PM ----------

then when enabled it goes straight to maintenance

# svcs | grep webconsole
maintenance 13:24:10 svc:/system/webconsole:console